VMware Cloud Community
digitalex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

COS configuration for vSphere4

Weird question but had to ask.

On the placement of COS file for the vSphere4 upgrade, can you specify a datastore that was presented via vcenter to a single esx host or do you have to do some configuration of the LUN in the esx command line?

For instance: Present LUN5 that is 10GB to Esx1 only, Present LUN6 that is 10GB to Esx2 only. etc

My current setup for info:

Virtual Center 2.1

ESX 3.5 up1 on 3x HP DL460c G1 16gb

EVA4100_1

20 Windows 2003 Ent VM's

My current setup for info: Virtual Center 2.1 ESX 3.5 up1 on 3x HP DL460c G1 16gb EVA4100_1 20 Windows 2003 Ent VM's
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, yes you can specify the location however you can only do it from the GUI setup - choose advanced setup. Well I say only, but I'm sure you could do it via a scripted install however you'd have to make sure the LUN presented/zoned to the host was the same device ID (vmhbaX:X:XXX:X)- could be a mare.. The other thing to make 150% sure of (I know you put it in your question but hey these things never hurt to be repeated!) is that if your intending to put the esxconsole.vmdk on a presented/zoned LUN then this LUN must ONLY be accessibile/zoned to that ESX host

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jjkrueger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Not sure I understand exactly what you're asking.

If you're talking about the location of the esxconsole.vmdk file for the ESX4 COS, that typically lives on the local datastore. When you install ESX 4.0 or upgrade to ESX 4.0, you must select a VMFS datastore location for the service console (esxconsole.vmdk).

If you're talking about LUNs presented to the hosts, that's generally done by masking the LUNs at the storage array.

If you need to do it from the ESX host, you can look to the "Managing Storage Paths and Multipathing Plugins" appendix in the Fibre Channel SAN Configuration Guide.

Hope that helps,

-jk

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Moved to vSphere Upgrade/Install forum.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, yes you can specify the location however you can only do it from the GUI setup - choose advanced setup. Well I say only, but I'm sure you could do it via a scripted install however you'd have to make sure the LUN presented/zoned to the host was the same device ID (vmhbaX:X:XXX:X)- could be a mare.. The other thing to make 150% sure of (I know you put it in your question but hey these things never hurt to be repeated!) is that if your intending to put the esxconsole.vmdk on a presented/zoned LUN then this LUN must ONLY be accessibile/zoned to that ESX host

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
digitalex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. That is what I was looking for. That the LUN be added to the single esx host through the GUI with no issue.

My current setup for info:

Virtual Center 2.1

ESX 3.5 up1 on 3x HP DL460c G1 16gb

EVA4100_1

20 Windows 2003 Ent VM's

My current setup for info: Virtual Center 2.1 ESX 3.5 up1 on 3x HP DL460c G1 16gb EVA4100_1 20 Windows 2003 Ent VM's
0 Kudos