VMware Cloud Community
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Bios update affect mask of processor to ESXi4 ?

have a cluster with 06 ESX4, all dell R710 processor (x5660). 03 are with BIOS 2.xx and 03 others are with the last version 3.0.0
After  upgrading the bios I noticed that when I do a VMotion vmware bios with  an old one with new bios, the problem and complains that the EVC is not  enabled.

Two possible causes in my point of view:
1 - He changes masks
2 - Disable ExecuteBit - can be disabled.

Tomorrow I will do some tests, creating new cluster with EVC and so on.

Any ideas? kb?

Grateful

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

solved!

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Mauro

It would be helpful to others if you explained how you solved it.

Thanks

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
micknz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am experiencing this problem too, and would greatly appreciate knowing how you solved it.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums.  If you're getting an error like - problem detected at CPUID level 0×80000001 register ‘edx’ - I would suggest checking to see if the no-execute option is disabled on the host.  You can also make a VM change for this - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1001131.

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

0 Kudos
micknz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - that was it. It appears Dell's 3.0.0 update causes the machine to now expose the NX-bit.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

i update bios of servers to bios 3.0 and works fine now. But works fine becausa all hosts need be in same version of bios. I check execute bit but the problem not is here.

the best solution is, stop virtual machines running in host with version of bios out of date, upgrade, and re-add at cluster.

0 Kudos