VMware Cloud Community
manu101914
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BLADE SERVER with 96GB RAM

I have one balde server with 2 processor & 96GB physical RAM installed.

Having license for "VMware vSphere 5 Standard for 1 processor (with 32 GB vRAM entitlement per processor)"

As per my understanding vSphere 5 onwards there is no limitation on phyiscal RAM & processor.

limitation to the one virtual machine is maximum we can assign 32GB vRAM.

Please confirm if this is correct.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EdWilts
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please read the licensing whitepaper at http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

manu101914 wrote:

Having license for "VMware vSphere 5 Standard for 1 processor (with 32 GB vRAM entitlement per processor)"

As per my understanding vSphere 5 onwards there is no limitation on phyiscal RAM & processor.

The license is per SOCKET on the blade but not on the CORES per socket which is now unlimited.  Since you have 2 sockets, you'll need a minimum of 2 licenses.  With your 32GB entitlement per socket, you'll be allowed to have virtual machines powered up with a total of 64GB of configured memory, no matter how much memory they actually use.

You can either purchase a 3rd license so you can power up virtual machines having a total of 96GB of configured memory, or you can upgrade your licenses to Enterprise which will give you a total allotment of 128GB.  Note that this is the CONFIGURED memory, not the USED memory, so it's quite likely that you will need licenses that exceed 96GB.

Note also that the memory is pooled - if you have multiple other servers also running vSphere 5 Standard, then it's the sum of all of the virtual machines running on all of the powered-up hosts that count.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The physical limitation is 1 processor as you only bought one! vRAM is limited to max 32GB. That could be 1 very large VM of 32GB or multiple smaller ones added up to 32GB.

0 Kudos
manu101914
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for your quick reply.

Can you please elaborate more.

As my server is having 2 processor so will i be able to use 64 GB total RAM for 2 processor????

0 Kudos
lubindae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My understanding is you have bought the standard, which means 1CPU and 32GB of vRAM.

0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please read the licensing whitepaper at http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

manu101914 wrote:

The license is per SOCKET on the blade but not on the CORES per socket which is now unlimited.  Since you have 2 sockets, you'll need a minimum of 2 licenses.  With your 32GB entitlement per socket, you'll be allowed to have virtual machines powered up with a total of 64GB of configured memory, no matter how much memory they actually use.

You can either purchase a 3rd license so you can power up virtual machines having a total of 96GB of configured memory, or you can upgrade your licenses to Enterprise which will give you a total allotment of 128GB.  Note that this is the CONFIGURED memory, not the USED memory, so it's quite likely that you will need licenses that exceed 96GB.

Note also that the memory is pooled - if you have multiple other servers also running vSphere 5 Standard, then it's the sum of all of the virtual machines running on all of the powered-up hosts that count.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
manu101914
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks EdWilts i was looking for such explanation 🙂 Thank you very much.........

0 Kudos