VMware Cloud Community
Vince1973
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Availability of option to downgrade esxi from 7.x to 6.x

Hi,

we have a managed service built on specific application and servers that use ESXI 6.x.
We are seeing that the latest server bundles are shipped with ESXI 7.X, I have seen that It is possible to downgrade ESXI7.x to 6.x with a valid service contract, using the portal and selecting the option 6.x.

Is there a planned date to phase out the option? I am asking because we are planning the certification of our APP with 7.x but until we finish we will need to buy ESXI7.x and downgrade to 6.X

Thanks

V

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Downgrade options to earlier versions are usually available until the version goes end of life, so there's most likely no need to worry.
Once you are ready for a newer version, you may then upgrade to any version that went GA at a time when your subscription was still active.

André

View solution in original post

5 Replies
asajm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi @Vince1973 

If I understood correctly
Can this article help you?

If you think your queries have been answered
Marking this response as "Solution " or "Kudo"
ASAJM
0 Kudos
Vince1973
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi @asajm 

thanks for the feedback, it is very useful anyway I was also looking on a more specific answer for my situation.

Basically I am going to order multiple ESXI 7.0 but I will need to downgrade those license to 6.x an I would ask if the 6.x will be available for a while or there is a plan to remove it from the option.

Thanks

V

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @Vince1973 ,

Downgrade/upgrade options will be available as long as you have a valid contract. 

Hope that helps

Vince1973
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks @ashilkrishnan 

I am just trying to understand if option to downgrade to 6.x will go away soon and so being deleted from the option.

But probably it is a Q not easy to answer 🙂

V

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Downgrade options to earlier versions are usually available until the version goes end of life, so there's most likely no need to worry.
Once you are ready for a newer version, you may then upgrade to any version that went GA at a time when your subscription was still active.

André