VMware Cloud Community
VirtualSysEngin
Contributor
Contributor

Auto installation for ESX 4 with ks.cfg

Hi all,

I have created a custom ks.cfg and combine it with the ESX 4 installable iso. When I boot up the server with the iso, I choose "Scripted Install using USB ks.cfg". Then I tried out the following scenario in F2 Option.

Scenario One

ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg ksdevice=vmnic0 ip=192.168.20.251 netmask=255.255.255.0 gateway=192,168.20.1 nameserver=192.168.20.20 hostname=Test99

Scenario Two

ksdevice=vmnic0 ip=192.168.20.251 netmask=255.255.255.0 gateway=192,168.20.1 nameserver=192.168.20.20 hostname=Test99 ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg

The problem is that the ESX server could not assign the static to the vmnic0. When it reboots after the installation, the vswif0 is trying to do DHCP. What did I do wrong here? I purposely left out the network configuration in the ks.cfg so that I can use this file across multiple servers. PXE is not an option because the network is not permitted to use DHCP.

Please Advice. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nkbaumer
Contributor
Contributor

I did notice that in both of your scenario's you had a comma in your gateway address which may have caused an error in your script. If that isn't the problem perhaps try the following:

network --addvmportgroup=true --device=vmnic0 --bootproto=static --ip=192.168.20.251 --netmask=255.255.255.0 --gateway=192.168.20.1 --nameserver=192.168.20.20 --hostname=Test99

0 Kudos
Bhanta
Contributor
Contributor

Hi can somebody please tell me how to create a custom iso image (cdrom based install) of esx4u1

i would like to insert my own ks.cfg file into the source files within the iso image...i know that the original iso image needs to be extracted and then recompiled, but i wasn't sure where to place my ks.cfg file - would i simply copy it to the root (top level folder?) and then type ks=cdrom://ks.cfg as one of the parameters during boot?

0 Kudos
mikeyhoward
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. Mount the ESX ISO and copy all of the contents to a local folder - lets say /customESX

2. Create your own custom folder in the root of what will be the new ISO - /customESX/ks

3. Copy your ks.cfg files to the newly created/customESX/ks folder

4. Edit the /customESX/isolinux/isolinux.cfg file with vi and add in your required entries

5. Save the isolinux.cfg file

6. CD to /CustomESX

7. Create the new ISO with the command
    mkisofs -A \"My ESX Build\" -V \"My ESX Build\" -J -R -v -T -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o /var/www/customISO/"my-custom-build.iso

8. Mount your new ISO and you should be good to go

Obviously the above assumes you are performing the tasks on a *nix server.

Your isolinux.cfg menu entry should point to the ks.cfg file using;

append initrd=initrd.img vmkopts=debugLogToSerial:1 mem=512M quiet ks=cdrom:/ks/ks.cfg

Hope that helps!

Blogging: http://www.mikehoward.me.uk
0 Kudos