VMware Cloud Community
AllenMorrow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any known issues with running ESX, vSphere, vCenter and Lab Manager all on one Windows server?

I am getting in late on a project that is currently scheduled to install ESX, vSphere, vCenter and Lab Manager all on one Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise x64. Does anyone know if there are any known issues with running them all on one beefy server?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vsphere?view=overview and take a look at the podcasts.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums.

ESX is a bare metal hypervisor. You should follow through the getting started webcasts.

RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does anyone know if there are any known issues with running them all on one beefy server?

No, should not be a problem, however install SQL in a VM not on the same VM as vCenter.

and I assume you mean to install ESX as the BASE OS and make the rest of those VM's?

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vsphere?view=overview and take a look at the podcasts.

0 Kudos
AllenMorrow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My bad. When I said ESX, I meant VMWare Server running on top of Windows. But I like your line of thinking. The physical server would run ESX as base OS. There would be 2 + virtual machines, one as vCenter and one as Lab Manager & SQL. Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
AllenMorrow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, I will be reviewing the podcast asap

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My bad. When I said ESX, I meant VMWare Server running on top of Windows. But I like your line of thinking. The physical server would run ESX as base OS. There would be 2 + virtual machines, one as vCenter and one as Lab Manager & SQL. Does that make sense?

I wouldn't bother with VMware server unless your host machine can't support ESX(i). Depending on the hardware and especially RAM you should have no problem running multiple instances of Windows guests etc.

0 Kudos
AllenMorrow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect Thank you so much!

0 Kudos