VMware Cloud Community
RTX
Contributor
Contributor

After upgrade to vSphere 5.1 server - Management Webservices cannot start

Finally a succesfully install of vSphere 5.1 Server - had the same password issues like alot of other users. But there are problems with the VirtualCenter Management Webservices service - It cannot start (failed to start as well during install)

Trying to start the service manual :

Windows could not start the VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices service on <SERVER>

Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly

Eventlog error :

The VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1083 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

As long this service cannot start I am not able to see Performance status on any host/ VM or health status on any hosts.

Any ideas how to make this service work?

(The last install was a clean install - uninstalled all other VMWare, removed old directories, but reused the old database, as we have a lot of configurations)

During the install I get this error : Error: 29942 Value: VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices

------

UPDATE : Tried to install vShpere 5.1 Server on another server - straight forward Simple Install and no errors. So it seems that there is something one the current server that block this service?. So I guess I have to install it on a new Server and try to restore/ reuse the current MSSQL-database.

15 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Is the webservice running under the same account as the vCenter service? Or is it running under local account?

0 Kudos
RTX
Contributor
Contributor

yes - running under the same domain user account.

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Hmmm, difficult one, there's so much things that could be going on ...

Did you make sure none of the ports of the webserver are in use by something else? Firewall??

0 Kudos
RTX
Contributor
Contributor

I should mean so - all ports are default by the installation and there is no firewall enabled on the server.

I remember once that you could see which ports VMware uses or are configured to use, but I forgot this?

0 Kudos
VitorSilva
Contributor
Contributor

RTX,

I am having the same problem, I just upgraded my vCenter from 5.0 U1 to 5.1, and now i got this all time:

"The VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 47 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service."

Some one, any idea? Maybe SSL?

VCP 4, VSP 5, VTSP 5
0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Maybe something else is using the port ... Old entries or something, just thinking out loud ...

What does a netstat -aon give you?

Anything useful in the log files?

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Hi

Have a look at this KB for enabling logging for web services - this should give you more info on where the problem lies.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200423...

Thanks,

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
mcrampton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same issue after upgrading to vCenter 5.1. Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

0 Kudos
RTX
Contributor
Contributor

I gave up on my server and decided to install all over on another Bladeserver I had. (reusing the database) after that it starts succesfully. Not the perfect solution, but it got me running again.

0 Kudos
VitorSilva
Contributor
Contributor

When i do a clean installation, work fine, but when I upgrade, I get this problem. no on e have this problem and a solution?

VCP 4, VSP 5, VTSP 5
0 Kudos
buckmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Our       workaround:  We found a hidden process using a utility from       sysinternal called "process explorer" which identified a process       called "java" using port 8080, killed the process and web       management services started.  This is a workaround and the ticket       remains open with VMware for a resolution.  I suspect it is a       JRE/Java environment issue from the previous vCenter 4.1 installer       leaving something behind after the upgrade to 5.1a?

Tom Miller
0 Kudos
switchkill
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue, here is how i resolved this.

1. Checked the latest log C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs\catalina.yyyy.mm.dd.txt (had an error like: Failed to initialize component [Connector[AJP/1.3-8009]])
  2. Ran netstat -bano | find "800" (Port was being used by IBM DS Storage Manager)
  3. Changed "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\conf\catalina.properties" "base.shutdown.port" and "bio-vmssl.ajp.port"  to something that wasn't 8009

Hope this helps someone else.

VitorSilva
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I jusr uninstalled the vCenter and Installed again, working fine now, but when I re-installed, the setup adviced me that the port 8080 was being used by another program, I disable the service, and install successfully.

VCP 4, VSP 5, VTSP 5
0 Kudos
restoore
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue and i've followed your instruction, i've changed bio-vmssl.ajp.port to 8010 and restart the service.

Now everything works fine, thank you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
KarthikeyanK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Please try this KB and modify the entry in VPXD.cfg file.

follow the below and try.

To work around this issue the increase the threadstack size in the vpxd.cfg file

1. Stop the vCenter Server service. For more information, see Stopping, starting, or restarting vCenter services (1003895)
  2. From the vCenter Server navigate to C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\
  3. Open the vpxd.cfg in a text editor. 
  4. Change the number in <ThreadStackKb></ThreadStackKb> to 1024 or add <ThreadStackSizeKb>1024</ThreadStackSizeKb> under <threadPool>:

Caution: Entries within the vpxd.cfg file are case sensitive.

For example:

<vmacore>
    <threadPool>
    <TaskMax>90</TaskMax>
    <ThreadNamePrefix>vpxd</ThreadNamePrefix>
    <ThreadStackSizeKb>1024</ThreadStackSizeKb></threadPool>
    <ssl>
    <useCompression>true</useCompresion>
    </ssl>
    </vmacore>
  5. Save the Changes and close the editor window 
  6. Start the VirtualCenter Server service .

now we are able to access the VC.

We have the issue with vsphere 5.5 .

VMware KB: The vpxd process becomes unresponsive after upgrading to VMware vCenter Server 5.5

Regards,

Karthikeyan

0 Kudos