VMware Cloud Community
barnybla
Contributor
Contributor

After fresh install of a VCSA 7.0 U1 FQDN Problems during Configuration

Hi,

I have a installed a VCSA 7.0 U1, it works fine. During the vCenter Server configuration of the network settings I have a probleme with the FQDN for the system name. When I try the IP Address or the FQDN I get the answer  saving of the IP configuration not possible. When I connect over SSH to the server I can check with nslookup the DNS configuration without problem, forward and backword. Now I hang in the configuration with no way out.

How can help me to finish my configuration to work with the VCSA.

Thanks for help

Bernd

0 Kudos
15 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You're most likely experiencing a known issue.

from VMware vCenter Server 7.0 Update 1 Release Notes

Deployment of a vCenter Server Appliance by using port 5480 at stage 2 fails with unable to save IP settings error

If you use https://appliance-IP-address-or-FQDN:5480 in a Web browser, go to the vCenter Server Appliance Management Interface for stage 2 of a newly deployed vCenter Server Appliance, and you configure a static IP or try to change the IP configuration, you see an error such as
Unable to save IP settings

Workaround: None.

André

0 Kudos
szafa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

just tried latest vcsa => vCenter Server 7.0 update 1a still same issue "Unable to save IP settings.". Anyone know some workaround?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid that this issue has not been fixed yet, at least there's nothing in the release notes about it.

So the only "workaround" for this is to enter all the settings in the installation wizard, and run both stages right after each other.

André

0 Kudos
likeahoss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is a serious issue if vCenter can't be installed - what's the point of releasing a product that can't be provisioned?

0 Kudos
davedave0555
Contributor
Contributor

had the same issue ... it was dns , needed to add a static entry on my DC ( it's a home lab with a domain controller doing both AD / DNS ).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
luxturbo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. Shame VMware is taking error message lessons from Microsoft. Thankfully in my case I am not in a hurry and just preparing for a new build in January, but very disappointed with this.

0 Kudos
Kev_Johnson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have both forward and reverse DNS configured for the appliance? This has been a requirement for some time now, and these issues always seem to come back to people either having no DNS, or forward DNS only.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vcenter.upgrade.doc/GUID-24D34C53-B00E-47B7...

0 Kudos
likeahoss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, DNS records are provisioned and VCSA can query the server and resolve forward and reverse records. 

0 Kudos
Musti999
Contributor
Contributor

I am facing the same problem: "Unable to save IP settings" error message at step 2 during Stage 2 vCenter server setup.

I was running UI installation executable on Windows Server 2016 Std, then trying the same on Windows Server 2012R2 Std.

My DNS setup is proper: both A and PTR records are correct for vCenter appliance.

Any other suggestions ?

REGARDS

Robert  

0 Kudos
CF548
Contributor
Contributor

I have configured a DHCP with a reservation for the VCSA.
During the upgrade I set up this DHCP.
At the end of the installation from the Management Interface I have correctly reconfigured the IP address

0 Kudos
MarcusZheng
Contributor
Contributor

There is a workaround for this bug, please refer to the following (search fixed)
VCSA install - Unable to save IP settings

0 Kudos
MichaelBuchser
Contributor
Contributor

Most likely you are using Firefox web browser.

Try performing the configuration steps in Internet Explorer.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
MarcusZheng
Contributor
Contributor

the workaround to this bug is to use static IP configuration in the Wizard in Stage 1, once the vCenter powered on and ready for Stage 2, SSH to vcenter, edit /etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network, change DHCP=no to DHCP=yes, save the file and redo your Stage 2. Once you done, change it back to DHCP=no.

NOTE: you don't need DHCP server/service for this to work. However, you may receive a second IP from DHCP server if you have one. BUT it will keep using your static IP as primary. Once you done your vCenter deployment, change it back and you will not get IP from DCHP

iivel
Contributor
Contributor

Aaah, IE somehow has the power to edit /etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network, FF doesn't.  As simple as that!

0 Kudos
lbazterrica
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

this post solve the problem. www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/jsub8r/vcenter_setup_unable_to_save_ip_settings

Configure vCenter with a static IP while deploying the ova. Once vCenter is up, SSH to it, Edit /etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.network file, change DHCP=no to DHCP=yes, save it then refresh your https://<vcenter_hostname>:5480 setup page will fix it. It doesn't need DHCP server/service for this to work. Once your setup done, change it back to DHCP=no.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos