VMware Cloud Community
VMware_Canuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After doing an edition upgrade to SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard, vSphere can't communicate with the VIM_VCDB database

My vCenter environment is 5.0, and was initially set up using SQL Server 2008 R2 Express as the database.  We have hit the size limit of 10 GB for the Express version, so I want to upgrade the database from 2008 R2 express to 2008 R2 standard.

Before doing the upgrade, I stopped the vCenter Server service, then launched the SQL Server installer.  I did an "Edition Upgrade", to take it from express to standard.  This completes successfully in about 2 minutes, then I went and restarted the vCenter server service.

However, after restarting the service, vSphere is unable to communicate with the VIM_VCDB.  For example, in vSphere if I click on a VM, and click the Performance tab, it tells me it is unable to display the web page.  It seems to be unable to communicate with the VIM_VCDB.  I haven't changed any database names, or the ODBC settings, so not sure what is causing the issue.

If I go to ODBC Data Source Administrator and Test Data Source, the test completes successfully.

I have read all the documentation I can find, and tried a few different things, but not found anything that resolves the issue.  I ended up having to revert to the snapshot backup I took prior to the database edition upgrade.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be, or what I need to do to resolve it?

Shane

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The database is probably fine.

Is the vCenter Web Management Service running?

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The database is probably fine.

Is the vCenter Web Management Service running?

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
VMware_Canuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You were on the money.

When I shutdown the "VMware VirtualCenter Server" service, it shuts down 2 additional services, one of them being the VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices.  Then once the database upgrade was done, starting the server service back up, does NOT start up the 2 additional services that it shut down earlier, so the webservices service was down.  So I manually restarted those 2, then everything worked properly in vSphere.

Thank you for help on this.

Shane

0 Kudos