VMware Cloud Community
Topolittle
Contributor
Contributor

Afd service error when migrating from VCSA 7 to VCSA 8

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my vCenter applicance (VCSA) from version 7 to version 8.

I used the UI Windows installer form the Vmware-VCSA-all-8.0.0.0-20519528 ISO file.

The first phase went very well and I have a new VCSA 8 freshly deployed. However when the installer tried to copy the data from the old one (VCSA 7) to the new instance, I ran into two problems:

The first was my custom certificates that had a weak signature algorithm (sha1). I replaced all certificates with the certificate-manager tool, option 8. This appears to solve this error.

After that, I retried the operation in the UI installer (I didn’t have closed it). I ran into another issue: “Precheck of certificates in VECS for weak signature algorithm failed. Pleace check that Vmware Afd Service is running.”

I am now stuck on this issue and I have no clue on how to resolve it.

What I have done so far:

- I check if the Afd service is running with the command service-control --status vmafdd. It’s indeed running.

- When I login my old VCSA (7.0) on the port 5480, I have no longer access to the management console, instead I have to enter the VCSA passoword and afterward, I got only a progress bar that stay always at 0%.

- When I login to the new VCSA (8.0), I get the same UI installer and when I try to complete the installation from there, I get the exact same Afd Service error.

So, to be clear, the first error was resolved by resetting all certificates. But I am still not resolved the second error.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Topolittle
Contributor
Contributor

This is to bump the thread.

I am still stuck at ""Precheck of certificates in VECS for weak signature algorithm failed. Please check that VMware Afd Service is running."

It seems that I am the only one on the planet to have this issue.

0 Kudos
Topolittle
Contributor
Contributor

To add more to the story,

I have configured a new instance of VCSA 7 and I restored my backup. Afterward, I tried to upgrade that instance to VCSA 8 but I got the same error message: "Precheck of certificates in VECS for weak signature algorithm failed. Please check that VMware Afd Service is running."

I still don't know what to do to upgrade to VSCA 8.

0 Kudos