VMware Cloud Community
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Advice: upgrading from 5.5U3; go direct to 6.5, or to 6.0 and then 6.5?

I have 2 sites running 5.5 u3 (one is production, the other is for Disaster Recovery). We use SRM, with array synchronization provided by EMC RecoverPoints.

I need to upgrade to the latest vSphere 6.5. I've come across some references that say the upgrade path should be 5.5 to 6.0 first, then upgrade to 6.5. Is this the recommended path? Or can I upgrade direct from 5.5 to 6.5? (vCenter first, of course, then each ESXi host in sequence). My vCenters run on Win2008 R2, and the SQL DB is on a separate host (SQL 2008 R2); this is the configuration at both sites, altho the production site is a physical vCenter host, and the DR site uses vCenter on a VM.

After I've upgraded to 6.5 at both sites, both vSphere and ESXi, then I plan to upgrade my SRM from 5.5.1. But that's a later post ...

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SridharG
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

For VC, you can directly upgrade from 55u3 to 65 latest.

If you are using SSO and VC on separate machines then you have to upgrade 55u3 setup to 55u3b or any latest version on 55u3b and then upgrade to 65 latest.

If you are using SSO and VC on the same machine then you can directly upgrade 55u3 to 65 latest.

-Sridhar

If it is useful, plz mark answer as correct or helpful.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks & Regards
Sridhar Gattu,
VCP55, RHCE 6.0.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are strictly my own. I am solely responsible for all content published here. Content published here is not read, reviewed, or approved in advance by VMware and does not necessarily represent or reflect the views or opinions of VMware.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
SridharG
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

For VC, you can directly upgrade from 55u3 to 65 latest.

If you are using SSO and VC on separate machines then you have to upgrade 55u3 setup to 55u3b or any latest version on 55u3b and then upgrade to 65 latest.

If you are using SSO and VC on the same machine then you can directly upgrade 55u3 to 65 latest.

-Sridhar

Thanks & Regards
Sridhar Gattu,
VCP55, RHCE 6.0.
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are strictly my own. I am solely responsible for all content published here. Content published here is not read, reviewed, or approved in advance by VMware and does not necessarily represent or reflect the views or opinions of VMware.
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

SRM 5.1 is not supported directly with vSphere 6.5, so how to proceed with that !

0 Kudos
Ashutosht1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Order of SRM upgrade will be: SRM 5.1->SRM 5.5.0 -> SRM 5.8.1-> SRM 6.0 ->SRM 6.1 -> SRM 6.5

Thanks,

Ashutosh

MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great! Yes, my vCenter and SSO are on the same physical machine, so I should be able to just upgrade directly from 5.5U3b (I re-checked; I am running 5.5 Update 3248547, which is 5.5U3b) to 6.5.

We use the HP and Dell Customized versions (production is all HP servers; Disaster Recovery is all Dell). So for the ESXi upgrade, I'll just import the ISO from their customized versions, which include the drivers for their hardware.

Then I will start worrying about upgrading the SRM ...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I am not using SRM but just curious about upgrade path along with SRM environment. Your answer is straight forward with SSO consideration but can we upgrade directly to 6.5 with SRM 5.1 ? Won't it break integration with SRM 5.1 ?

0 Kudos
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A very good question! In fact, I have a separate thread over in the SRM community, asking the same question. If I go from 5.5U3b to 6.5:

1. Can I even do that? Or will the 6.5 upgrade disable the SRM 5.5.1, as that version is incompatible with 6.5?

2. If not, do I need to do the vSphere 6.5 upgrade first. Then do the SRM 5.5.1->5.8->6.12->6.5? Do each incremental step?

0 Kudos
SridharG
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can check the compatibility matrix before start upgrade:

VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

See the attachment for more details "SRM-VC-Interop-Matrix.jpg"

Thanks & Regards
Sridhar Gattu,
VCP55, RHCE 6.0.
0 Kudos
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The matrix (which I have looked at) shows which versions work with which, but it's not clear as to upgrade order of SRM (does it need to be uninstalled before going from 5.5U3b to 6.5? What happens in the interim, until you are at the latest version? etc).

That's why I posted the 2nd question over in the SRM communities. A matrix is good, but hearing actual experience is better. 🙂

0 Kudos
SridharG
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As Ashutosh mentioned for SRM upgrade path is as below:

SRM 5.1->SRM 5.5.0 -> SRM 5.8.1-> SRM 6.0 ->SRM 6.1 -> SRM 6.5

As per above, first you should update to compatible VC and then upgrade SRM, again do the same till you reach vCenter 6.5.

Though vCenter supports upgrade directly from 55u3b to 65 but it is not possible to upgrade the SRM like vCenter.

I would request you to check the interop matrix and also check with vmware customer care before start your upgrades.

Note: SRM 5.1 is not supported with vCenter 5.5u3b as per the compatibility matrix, so may be your SRM version should be 5.8.1 or 5.5.1, check once.

-Sridhar

Thanks & Regards
Sridhar Gattu,
VCP55, RHCE 6.0.
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a ticket open with VMware Support to ask this question.

So your advice is to do the vCenter in incremental increments, matching to the SRM functionality, rather than upgrade vCenter to latest 6.5, and then incrementally increment SRM up to 6.5?

0 Kudos
SridharG
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, as per the SRM matrix.

Thanks & Regards
Sridhar Gattu,
VCP55, RHCE 6.0.
0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I guess so, it should go in increment. Maybe gs_khalsa could answer this.

0 Kudos