VMware Cloud Community
tharumant
Contributor
Contributor

Adding another server to a 3 server cluster with Essentials License

Hi,

I have an existing 3 server vSphere cluster licensed with Essentials Plus. So, that's 3 servers with 6 CPU max. Can I add another server to this cluster? What type of licensing mode I'd be looking at if I were to do that? Buy another Essentials Plus kit? Appreciate some answers. Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

I guess you already answered yourself, you cannot add a fourth host to a cluster managed by an "essential" licensed vCenter object and you cannot manage "essential" licensed hosts with a "standard" licensed vCenter object. In practice you have to move to a higher license level.

You can start by taking a look at this document: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-pr...
But then you'd better contact a VMware reseller to build a solution that fits your needs.

Regards,
Ferdinando

BigMike23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had this and after working with a VMware reseller I had to upgrade the Essentials license before adding another host. It was a simple upgrade as you just have to change the license for the hosts and vcenter without changing anything else. You can then add more hosts with the new licensing level. There is multiple options so it is better to talk to a reseller for this info.

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Iam  a VMware reseller.....   there is one upgrade path available from Ess+ to

1. Accel.Kit Std,
  2. Accel Kit Enterprise Plus

both brings a vCenter Std. for unlimited Hosts and 6x1 CPU ESXi.  With that you can buy additional single ESXi licenses to expand the number of Hosts OR assign licenses to single CPU Hosts. Requirements are valid SnS and you have to submit tje FLAC( your serial numbers).

Regards,
J.B