VMware Cloud Community
joshuamarshall
Contributor
Contributor

Add a standalone ESX 3.5 Host to new vSphere 4 vCenter

Hi,

We've got a single ESX 3.5 host, unpatched, running about 5 VM's. We're a very small shop, and bought VI3, but never moved beyond a single stand-alone ESX host.

We've now got a new vSphere 4 Essentials package, and would like to 1) install vCenter 4 on a new physical server, 2) install a new ESX vSphere 4 host on new hardware we've purchased, and 3) add our existing ESX 3.5 box to the new vCenter 4.

Should we just set up the new vCenter 4, and vSphere ESX host machines from scratch, and then add the ESX 3.5 box to the new vCenter? I assume we have to change the licensing model on the ESX 3.5 host to join vCenter 4? I'm looking through a number of upgrade docs, but most assume you have an existing vCenter infrastructure. If anyone can point me to the best docs for our situation, I'd appreciate it.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jordan57
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

You should setup your vCenter server and vSphere hosts in your planned configuration. Once this is done you need to download and install the VMware license server it's free. In stall this on your vCenter server or another. Then edit your settings in vCenter to point to the license server. You will add your Vi 3 license to the server during install.

Once this is done you will be able to join your 3.5 host to vCenter.

VMware VCP - Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Blog: http://www.virtualizetips.com Twitter = @bsuhr
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Jordan57 is right on with his post. Should be fairly simple and no downtime for any of your VM's.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
joshuamarshall
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys. I'll be picking this project up next week and will give it a shot, award points etc.

--

Cheers, Joshua Marshall.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Good luck. Let us know if anything comes up.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos