VMware Cloud Community
nmcd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add 2nd CPU

I am adding a 2nd CPU to a ProLiant DL380 G5 (it has one Xeon quadcore CPU installed) and taking the memory from 16GB to 32GB RAM.

Is there any thing I will need to do before or after I do the hardware upgrade (other than shutting all Vm's down and the host OS), to get Vmware to recognise the new CPU and memory?

Also I would like to install the upgrade patch 1 after and also wondered if there is anything I should do before or after the upgrade.

I looked up the upgrade info and I didn't see any special recomendations.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If the server's bios recognizes the new hardware, then ESX/ESXi should shouldn't have any difficulty seeing it and being able to use it.

I gather you're talking about going to ESX/ESXi 4 u1, yes? It really depends on which method you use to perform the update on the host. You could try using Update Manager, or the Host Update Utility (if you have it installed already, or install it and then use it)...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If the server's bios recognizes the new hardware, then ESX/ESXi should shouldn't have any difficulty seeing it and being able to use it.

I gather you're talking about going to ESX/ESXi 4 u1, yes? It really depends on which method you use to perform the update on the host. You could try using Update Manager, or the Host Update Utility (if you have it installed already, or install it and then use it)...

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
nmcd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, to ESXi 4 u1.

I have never done a update on VMware, this is our first experiance. We did our first install with Sphere ESXi 4

If Host Update Utility is a easy / reliable method that's fine with me.

Thanks

nmcd

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I run into issues since my AD DC is a VM on my only ESXi host... Otherwise I'd be able to use it here. I am planning on either getting a second host, or a new pair of servers to be my ESX/ESXi hosts along with an iSCSI SAN this year... Provided my income is enough to get it all (looking at about 10k for the hosts. Not sure, yet about the SAN)...

As long as your DC isn't a VM on the only ESXi host, you should be fine.

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos