Contributor
Contributor

64 bit OS VM Deployment

I currently have the following home lab set up:

Mobo - MSI 7750

32 GB Ram

Intel Core i5

No CD/DVD Drive

I have ESXi 5 U 1 installed on a USB drive.  Now the problem I am experiencing is whenever I try to deploy a 64 bit Windows OS, Win 7 or Win 2008 R2, they fail.  Initially I started my lab with no internal hard drives, datastores were set up via iSCSI using Freenas.  Then I tried NFS, still no joy.  Next, I placed the hard drive in one of my Hosts and set it up as an internal datastore.  No matter how I try to deploy a 64 bit OS, whether it's by ISO imported into the local datastore, or by CD ISO from a client, it takes hours (10-12) to get through the Copying Files and Installing Files, before it times out.

Now, on one of my Hosts, I removed the ESXi OS and installed Win 2008 R2 as the main OS successfully so I know the BIOS settings are correct to support 64 bit.

I've been dealing with this for a month and am at a loss as to what to do next.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In order to run 64-bit guests on your ESXi host you need to configure the host's BIOS correctly. Please double check whether "Intel VT-x" as well as "Execute Disable Bit" are both enabled. If you need to change one of these settings, you may need to power cycle the host after saving the settings!

André

0 Kudos
perfectlyflwed
Contributor
Contributor

Execute Disable Bit is Enabled

Intel Virtualization Technology is Enabled

Intel VT-D Disabled (Greyed Out)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What is the error message when trying to create/power on the 64bit VM:s?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
perfectlyflwed
Contributor
Contributor

They're usually vague time out errors however I will try a couple deployments tonight and get the actual errors.  Anything else I should gather while trying?

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

0 Kudos