VMware Cloud Community
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor

6.0 to 6.5 Upgrade Failure

Hi,

So I'm trying to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.5 U3 and I followed several articles and videos and booted to the ISO that I burned from myvmware account. The host is an HP Proliant ML350 G9.  I get to the first few steps, but then get this message and can't upgrade: 

pastedImage_0.png

https://www.altaro.com/vmware/upgrade-datastores-vmfs-6/

I've been looking at this article about VMFS datastores and not sure if this applies to my situation. Any ideas of what I need to do? This is the current version:

pastedImage_2.png

Looks like I have VMFS5

pastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Hi,

looks like you selected datastore where vms and data’s are residing. Check ESXi install on SD card or local hard disk. Make sure during upgrade select the right storage where ESXi is install.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

There were different options during "Select a Disk to Install or Upgrade". Here is a screen shot:

pastedImage_0.png

I selected HP (6.55 TB), that's the local disk array where the VM's are located.  is it possible ESXi is installed on the HP (7.48 GB) and that is what needs to be selected.

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

You have to select 7.48 GB where esxi will be install or upgrade. Don’t select local disk 6.5TB to install or upgrade as all VMs will be lost.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos