VMware Cloud Community
Chadk
Contributor
Contributor

5.1 SSO FQDN issue

I will try to explain.  vCenter was originally joined to windows AD domain.XXX when vCenter was originally built.  The server was moved from domain.XXX to domain.YYY.  From a windows server perspective it is part of domain.YYY and uses domain.YYY as its DNS.  We played the game of adding a domain.XXX zone with an A record for vCenter.domain.XXX into domain.YYY DNS.  From a windows server perspective both vcenter.domain.XXX and vcenter.domain.YYY resolve.  The reverse always resolves to vcenter.domain.YYY

When installing SSO it wants the vcenter server FQDN.  It prefills with vcenter.domain.YYY.  If I try to accept that it says it cannot do an nslookup of it. (not sure why because I can nslookup from command line and it works).  If I populate it with vcenter.domain.XXX then it says "Make sure the FQDN is correct."

Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you are doing a fresh installation of SSO after uninstalling the previous version of the SSO, then you do not need to have the "domain.XXX zone with an A record for vCenter.domain.XXX in domain.YYY DNS".

Before installation please make sure that the following pre-conditions are met:

1. The new FQDN of the host is forward and reverse DNS resolvable.

2. The domain controller/domain is forward and reverse DNS resolvable.

3. ipconfig /all lists the correct/updated Connection-specific DNS Suffix.

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

Did you verify whether nslookup works for both name and ip?

nslookup IP address

nslookup server.domain.com

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos