VMware Cloud Community
wildblue
Contributor
Contributor

4.1 move - data migration error

Just running backup.bat to move to a new server and keep getting error:

[backup]  Backing up DB...  Please do not stop this program.

[backup]  DB logs: Processed 288280 pages for database 'VIM_VCDB', file 'VIM_VCDB_dat' on file 1.

Processed 1 pages for database 'VIM_VCDB', file 'VIM_VCDB_log' on file 1.

BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed 288281 pages in 754.785 seconds (3.128 MB/sec). 

[backup]  

[backup]  Msg 8114, Level 16, State 1, Server EIMESXVCSQLEXP_VIM, Line 1

Error converting data type bigint to int.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Server SERVERSQLEXP_VIM, Line 1

RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally.

[backup]  Error: vCenter Server DB backup failed

[backup]  Exiting...

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
tmollgoodwill
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same error

0 Kudos
RAMESA
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you upload the backup log file?

Did you make some change to the instance name of SQL express server?

Regards, Ramesh
0 Kudos
hrodenburg
Contributor
Contributor

I encouter the same problem. It's a standard installation with Virtual Center 2.5 and (standard) sql express instance installed on a VM with Windows 2003 (32bits). Really no fancy things.

Previously I have (once) upgraded to a newer 2.5 build. That upgrade went without any issues.

My instance name is called: SQLEXP_VIM btw.

Error:

Checking vCenter Server DB configuration...

vCenter Server DB type: bundled

vCenter Server DB instance: SQLEXP_VIM

vCenter Server DB instance: SQLEXP_VIM

Backing up DB... Please do not stop this program.

DB logs: Processed 401424 pages for database 'VIM_VCDB', file 'VIM_VCDB_dat' on file 1.

Processed 1 pages for database 'VIM_VCDB', file 'VIM_VCDB_log' on file 1.

BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed 401425 pages in 159.411 seconds (20.628 MB/sec).

Msg 8114, Level 16, State 1, Server GRS-SR50\SQLEXP_VIM, Line 1

Error converting data type bigint to int.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Server GRS-SR50\SQLEXP_VIM, Line 1

Error: vCenter Server DB backup failed

Exiting...

Any thoughts on this?

Oh, and it seems the script did update the database so I cannot start the virtual center 2.5 service anymore..

See this error message when trying to start the "vmware virtualcenter server"

Database version id '410' is incompatible with this release of VirtualCenter.

Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down...

Forcing shutdown of VMware VirtualCenter now

Is this the right time to test the backups?...

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

I Had the same problem last week

Had a 4.0 vCenter running SQL Express and ran the tool to move the vcenter to a new machine and VCenter 4.1

I used the datamigration tool and yes, it did upgrade the database on the original box.

I recieved the same error "RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally" which meant I could not get the Vcenter functional on the new box running 4.1.

And I could not start the original. The Setup containes "Distrubuted Switches" which made this a very big problem for me.

Eventually I uninstalled vCenter 4.0 on the Original box, installed vCenter 4.1 and pointed to the existing Database. "Keep database in tact" and everything was working again.

Now I will just do the normal exercise of moving the database from SQL Express to Full SQL. (as the client has 30 hosts)

Hope this is helpfull

regards

0 Kudos
hrodenburg
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up with an fresh install of 4.1 on a new vm. Our configuration is quite simple, so I've just configered everything from scratch. That way, I at least have a clean database. And also was the fastest solution for me.

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That is good news.

I will normally do that as well, but when you have distributed swithches, it is a whole other ball game. :smileylaugh:

If you import a ESX/ESXi host into the new fresh vCenter, and need to connect it to the new Distributed switch, you loose connectivity on all VMs

And the client went and imported the Service Console into the D-Switch as well

0 Kudos
hrodenburg
Contributor
Contributor

No expierence on distributed vswitches here yet. But I am migrating from esx 3.5. So there was no distributed vswitch at all, since that's a new feature in 4.x.

0 Kudos
vm-au-user
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same issue with "RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally"

Msg 8114, Level 16, State 1, Server , Line 1

The data migration fails and leave the database prepared for 4.1, with no roll back or anything. A database restore is required. Great tool.

0 Kudos
cygnar8180
Contributor
Contributor

Facing the same errors while updating from a fresh 4.0 update 01 to 4.1. Any news on this issue?

0 Kudos
sdsix
Contributor
Contributor

same problem here. is there no solution??? How am i suppose to upgrade my vcenter from 4.0 to 4.1 without loosing all settings. i have customers on my platform...

cheers sd-six

0 Kudos
CBischoff
Contributor
Contributor

In the vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf is no hint that the data migration tool will modify the data on the source ! Are they serious ?

Next thing if you run the install.cmd ther might be little notice vCenter Server DB Migration data not present: no inventory data will be migrated.

And then the script continous ... there is only one reason to run the script ... to migrate the Database of course.

Thank god I have a snap.

UPDATE: we run the install.cmd without migrating the Database (error as above) (took a new one) after install was completed stopped both vCenter services and sql, on old and new server. Copied the database files fom old to new on. Prey to the IT saint at least 100 times. Start Database and VCenterServer.

et voila

Add keys and connect the hosts.

Who says RTFM ? NeverRTFM works better.

Chris

0 Kudos
blarod
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same problem.  The source database is partially upgraded but not working well.  I found that the tables VPX_HIST_STATx was full of data and they use a bigint as datatype.  I flushed the content of the tables and the backup and the upgrade goes smoothly after that.

If you need this historical data, you can probably reimport the data it after the upgrade using SQL tools.

Benoit

0 Kudos
jfgoodspeed
Contributor
Contributor

Before starting the backup.bat script go into the folder " \datamigration\vpx\db\" and open dbrestore.sql replace "BackupSizeInBytes int null," with "BackupSizeInBytes bigint null,"

Then the backup script should be sucessfull

0 Kudos