VMware Cloud Community
BrianT
Contributor
Contributor

4.1 / EVA3000

I've seen a couple posts on this, but not too much info. We've got an older SAN - an HP EVA3000. The official docs say it is no longer supported with vSphere 4/4.1, but what's the reality on this? We're not ready to completely migrate off it at this point, but obviously don't want to risk any of our data. Anyone have real-life experience with this configuration, or any good knowledge on what to expect? I know there were some concerns about active/active and active/passive (3000 only supports active/passive), but I'm not sure if there's a way around this in VM.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Paul11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There is no technical reason, why it is not supported. It's old hardware, that's the only reason, why it's not supported. I'm using a EVA5000 (with FW 3110 so its active/passive) with no problems for a very long time now, also with ESX V4.1 no problem, using it with Round Robin Load balancing is also no problem. But you can't open a Service Call to VMware if you have any troubles in your SAN with it. So may be this is a problem for your company.

Paul