VMware Cloud Community
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2 quick questions re upgrade

Guys

Further more to my previous question :

1. Does VUM upgrade ESX host regardless embedded(Pre-installed as firmware) or installable? I am concerned in case of "embedded" as I was wondering to consult the server hardware vendor to get involved ? or i don't need?

2. Do we need to download the exact 4.x ISO with respect to existing ESX 3.x ???, for instance if current ESX host is ESXi ( with i) embedded then I must download ESXi 4.1 (with i) embedded , if current ESX is ESX ( not i) then I should download ESX 4.x ( not i). I belief same rules applies to installable version.
    I want to make sure that the upgrade would be error free with NO issues of wrong version upgrade.

thanks in adv

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just noticed the reference to ESX not i  and need to clarify. ESXi can be installed to a local hard disk just like ESX. ESX is often referred to as ESX classic. The basic difference between the two is that ESXi does not have the traditional Linux Console. vSphere 4.1 is the last version of the ESX Classic so it might be wise to migrate any upgrades to ESXi and beat the rush. There is no manufacturer specific version of ESX Classic.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The embedded referrs to installed on a USB or SD flash disk that was shipped with the hardware. Installable refers to installing to disk. It isn't "firmware". You can upgrade your existing version using VUM.

The ESXi ISO can be used to install over top of an existing embedded install. I would use the manufacturers version of the install. A Dell CD for Dell hardware an HP CD for HP hardware etc.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Totally agreed with DSTAVERT, ESXi version of Manufacturer provides function like  additional CIM modules which would make monitoring seamless

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just noticed the reference to ESX not i  and need to clarify. ESXi can be installed to a local hard disk just like ESX. ESX is often referred to as ESX classic. The basic difference between the two is that ESXi does not have the traditional Linux Console. vSphere 4.1 is the last version of the ESX Classic so it might be wise to migrate any upgrades to ESXi and beat the rush. There is no manufacturer specific version of ESX Classic.

0 Kudos
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks guys

so what I understood is (summary) :

1. Check the existing hosts if its embedded then ask the vendor to send the manufacture version ISO image.

2. If its classic ESX 3.5 then download the ESXi (with i) 4.1 and upgrade from classic ESX to ESXi 4.1

please correct me if I am wrong.

last question

Through VI client , I can see host details and it shows ESXi but not sure if its embedded or installable ?  at this stage i do not have the visibility of the physical machines as they are on other site.

anyway smarter or quicker way to find out whether is embedded or installable ?

i guess use remote access controller to see the ESX host screen and the console.

thanks

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For 1&2 you're correct. however instead of asking them to send you the ISO, you can get from the manufacturer download page.

On whether it is embedded or not, try going into vsphere client, then configuration, and storage and see if you could see any the storage name. another way is to guess the space of the embedded (normally there are very small in size) via command line or vsphere client.

good luck 😃

technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

topic change

how worthy this checklist is ? u guys did follow this in the past?

looks quite thorough.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

we used alot and you will not go wrong with it. to be on the safe side i would do host by host (ensure one passed before moving on). also this is a nice read too. http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf

0 Kudos
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am thinking along the lines of called "migration upgrade"

use vmotion to evacuate the virtual machines and do 1 host upgrade at a time

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Great! I wish you all the best. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ans 1:

Refer  http://communities.vmware.com/message/1667662#1667662

Ans2: You can use same Upgrade ZIP or patches for upgrading both Installer and Embedded,

Upgrade may not carry all the vendor specific the customization if you use the upgrade ZIP provided in VMware site, To get the vendor customization you have to consult with respective vendor

Upgrade or patches and different for ESX and ESXi and upgrade and Patches are same with in Embedded and Installer

Thanks

Nithin

--Nithin
0 Kudos
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We all should upgrade to ESXi (with i) 4.1 from what ever ESX 3.x we currently have

see above DSTAVERT

0 Kudos
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

David Stavert wrote:

ESXi can be installed to a local hard disk just like ESX.

David

just to clarify , I know that ESXi can be installed on local HD and Flash drive

as u said there is no ESX classic manufacture version , it means " NO ESX embedded"

means if we see ESX ( no i ) in VI client  it definitely means the full version of ESX installed on local drive. ???

is it correct?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If it is ESX it is classic. It isn't possible to have ESX embedded.

0 Kudos
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guys

Hi I followed the vmware upgrade guide (vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf) to upgrade my  current 4.0 v Centre Server to 4.1 vCentre Server on another machine , using backup  and restore db method.

Current Setup
Four ESXi 4.0 Hosts
vCentre Server 4.0  installed on "Server A" (Physical Box)
Local SQL Express Db

New Setup

Build new  server name "Server B" in current virtual infrastructure

and installed vCentre  Server 4.1 Backup DB from source server A and restore to Server B V centre  services successfully started. 

Issue/Question: Now what is the best  method to cut over to new vCenter 4.1 and manage all hosts from there? Do we  need to shutdown current vCentre Server (4.0) and start using 4.1 and do HA and  DRS again?

Due to the fact that both VC Servers (4.0 & 4.1) were UP last night  , hosts were probably confused where to go and keep disconnecting.

Would it cost any downtime to current infrastructure? like VMs down ?  Please advise recommended steps.

thnx

0 Kudos