VMware Cloud Community
idiriasl
Contributor
Contributor

1 single NIC? [SOLVED]

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has already been post, but I am unable to find a response. I have installed Windows 2008 over a ESXi machine (5.0). I can access the VMKernel without problems from the vCenter. When I now configure the W2008 ethernet whith its own IP, I can access from it to other hosts in the network. The problem is that I cannot access the W2008 installation from other hosts. The thing is that such host only has 1 NIC. From documentation it is not clear for me that more than one nic is mandatory... it seems you can put Management and VMs traffic on the same network. Is this possible?.

Second question... Is it mandatory another more NIC to support HA?.

NOTE: Both W2008 and VMKernel are configured on the same network.

Thanks in advance,

Jose.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

it is not best practice but then if you need to get it work it is possible. then i would suggest you getting a new NICs in ..

0 Kudos
dougdavis22
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Although not best practice, it's perfectly possible to run management and virtual machine traffic over a single NIC.  Just add a VM portgroup to vSwitch0 and specify whether or not it needs a VLAN ID.  Then just connect your VM to that portgroup.

Doug.

idiriasl
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the responses.

I finally solved it, everything was going right but I had PING responses disabled so I could not check de VM was working properly. Sorry for this stupid thread !! ;-).

Cheers,

Jose

0 Kudos
dougdavis22
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No, you should just be able to have a VM portgroup using the same network as the management VMkernel portgroup is on - assuming a single network is in use and not VLANs, then the VM portgroup should have no VLAN ID specified.

Doug.

0 Kudos