VMware Cloud Community
ThSchmidt1988
Contributor
Contributor

datastore utilization with PowerCLI

Hi everybody …

Maybe you have an idea for my problem:

We have the datastores grouped into several datastore cluster. Currently all vmdks of one VM are on the same datastore. We have a storage rental model where we pay per datastore, so we must therefore respect the cost-benefit ratio. Currently a lot of GB per datastore are free. We now want to distribute the VMDKs of each VMs on all datastores in the datastore cluster. I want to keep the smallest possible amount of free space per datastore.

We don’t have in our environment the Enterprise Plus license, so we can’t use SDRS. The storage system presents the storage in an auto tiering method, it is therefore only partially helpful for us.

I now looking to find a solution for this distribution in a manual way, preferably in PowerCLI. I have currently per datastore cluster a free Lun available that I can temporarily take for a migration. Did you have perhaps an idea for a PowerCLI script that can move the vmdks depending on the best possible datastore utilization? I've done my own thoughts, but my skills are not sufficient to be able to solve this without suggestions. For a few tips I would be very grateful.

Thanks, best regards

0 Kudos
0 Replies