VMware Cloud Community
GBartsch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Powershell Script to install VUM 6.0?

Anyone ever have success doing an unattended install of VUM 6.0.x via a powershell script?

I've been playing around attempting to do this so that I can automate the install using vRO.  However, the installation fails with a error: "Error 25085. Setup failed to register VMware vSphere Update Manager extension to VMware vCenter Server: ."

Several KBs are listed for this issue: KB1036055 seems to be the one of import - However, for testing we are using a local "administrator@vsphere.local" of the vCSA 6.0. Also, installing the server with the exact same settings / options manually works without issue. The command reference used in powershell is:

$Command = "/v`"/qr /L*v C:\temp\VUMInstLog.log WARNING_LEVEL=0 VMUM_DATA_DIR=`"$VUM_DATA_DIR`" VCI_DB_SERVER_TYPE=Custom DB_DSN=$VUM_DSN DB_USERNAME=$VUM_DATABASE_USER DB_PASSWORD=$VUM_DATABASE_PASSWORD VC_SERVER_IP=$VCENTER_IP VC_SERVER_PORT=$VCENTER_PORT VC_SERVER_ADMIN_USER=$VCENTER_ADMIN_USER VC_SERVER_ADMIN_PASSWORD=$VCENTER_ADMIN_PASSWORD`""

$string = @()

$string =+= '/L1033'

$string += '/s'

$string += '/w'

$string += $Command

Start-Process -Wait -FilePath c:\temp\VUMInstall\VMware-UpdateManager.exe -ArgumentList $string

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Are there any indications in the VUMInstLog.log of what might go wrong?

Or does the install not even get that far?

Did you already try adding the -Verbose switch on the Start-Process cmdlet?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
GBartsch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I apologize for failing to get back to you...

It's a very strange thing. It seems to not want complete no matter how we run it.

In the MSI Installer log, we see:

MSI (s) (DC:80) [TimeStamp]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=VM_RegisterExtension,Description=Registering Update Manager extension with the VMware vCenter Server ( FDNQ of vCenter:80),)
Action [Time]: VM_RegisterExtension. Registering Update Manager extension with VMware vCenter Server (vCenter FQDN:80)
MSI (s) (DC:80) [TimeStamp]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=VM_RegisterExtension,ActionType=11265,Source=BinaryData,Target=*******,CustomActionData=*******)
MSI (s) (DC:78) [TimeStamp]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI4740.tmp, Entrypoint: VMRegisterExtension
Error 25085.Setup failed to register VMware vSphere Update Manager extension to VMware vCenter Server: (FQDN to vCenter Server).
MSI (s) (DC!14) [TimeStamp]: Product: VMware vSphere Update Manager -- Error 25085.Setup failed to register VMware vSphere Update Manager extension to VMware vCenter SErver: (FQDN to vCenter Server).

CustomAction VM_RegisterExtension returned actualy error code 1603 (Note this may not be 100% accurate if the translation happend insdie sandbox)
Action ended [Time]: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

When I look in the Registrar-log4cpp.log, I see:

[TimeStamp) '' 5668 ALERT] [logUtil, 265] Product = VMware Update Manager, Version = 6.0.0, Build = 454195
[TimeStamp) '' 5668 INFO] [installerRunVCCommand, 530] [VCSERVER] Loading registrar library
[TimeStamp) 'Registrar' 5668 INFO] VC server URL http://:80 <---This is exactly how it appears
[TimeStamp) 'Registrar' 5668 ERROR] InvalidArgument error: extension.server.url
[TimeStamp) '' 5668 INFO] [installerRunVCCommand, 546] [VCSERVER] The extension registration failed
[TimeStamp) '' 5668 ERROR] [installerRunVCCommand, 549] [VCSERVER] Register extension failed 87

I have checked the inputs by looking at the variables in the powershell script and all looks perfect.

Format for DB_USERNAME is domain\user (so it has a \ )
Format for VC_SERVER_IP is location-businessunit-number (with hyphens in it)

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That 1603 error is kind of a catch-all.
Did you already try rebooting the target station before doing the install?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
GBartsch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, the simple answer to that is yes.  However, the actually answer is sorta.

So, I figure that in testing all of the permutations of installing VUM via PowerShell, it's been installed ~35 times.

That would include reboots in-between installs some of the time, and then full install and running the installer up to just before hitting final install button to start the process.

What we've seen so far is that the installer pre-populates fine when not using /qr as an option; an install using the PowerShell script will effectively let you click Next a bunch of times.

At them moment, it seems that the URL is being messed up when you attempt to automate the install process.

0 Kudos
Frank405
Contributor
Contributor

I wrestled with the same issue for a while and discovered that the parameter VMUM_SERVER_SELECT must be specified or you get this error. Although the GUI pre-populates this field when removing the /qr switch, whatever automated method is being used does not.

0 Kudos