VMware Cloud Community
A_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Powercli VUM and remediate VMhost with more than one baseline but only one reboot...

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask vum related question.

My challenge: Deploying few vmhosts (vsphere 5.1.1 infra + powercli 5.1.2) by utilizing powercli scripts that take care of post vsphere installation (joining AD, placing VMhost in right cluster etc...). Currently VUM part doing manually. I want to use VUM powercli commandlets. I know that there is no commandlet that support the concept of 'baseline group' . So i need to find the way of remediating by applying baselines one by one. If i do this manually by using VUM plugin then i can apply more than one baseline at the same time (of different types let's just say 'host patch' and 'host extensions') and only one reboot does the job. But how to achieve this in scripting way?

This is what i tried so far:

Get-Baseline -TargetType HOST |  where { $_.name.contains("5.1")} | Remediate-Inventory -Entity myesxhost.mydomain.com -confirm:$false

which results in sequential execution and server reboots twice (because there are 2 baselines that need to be attached and remediate). I can afford only one reboot (5-9 minutes reboot time is lost time)

Can anyone point  me to a right direction?

thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to the vSphere Update Manager PowerCLI community.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

What exactly do you have in those 2 baselines, only patches ?

0 Kudos
A_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well i guess this is more general question applicable to future baselines. The baselines that i'm allowed to use are built seperataly by local admins following the Vmware rules : extensions patches and upgrades

VUM.png

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Since you are building the ESXi hosts, and since you want to limit the number of reboots, I would create a temporary baseline, that holds all the patches from the required patch baselines.

Afaik, you can mix extensions and static patches in a baseline.

The list of patches and extensions can be obtained from the existing baselines.

0 Kudos