VMware Cloud Community
LeoKurz2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Import Patches to Repository by PowerShell Script

Hello,

I'd like to keep the device drivers updated in the repository of VUM. Doing this manually is a pain but there is no commandlet to import the patches to the repository. I have a directory with all the zip files sitting in it, how can I script this to get them into the repository?

Any ideas welcome.

__Leo

0 Kudos
10 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik there is only the Download-Patch cmdlet.

But which device drivers do you mean ? And how do you do this manually ?

That process can probably be automated

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
LeoKurz2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Luc,

I'm talking about the drivers e.g. listed on the VMware download page as iso(!) files or the drivers provided in the vibsdepot by hp. There is no url you can add into the download config of VUM and therefore you can't use the Download-Patch commandlet. In the GUI, you have to go to the Patch Repository, then click on "Import Patches" and then go through the dialogues. Of curse you have to unpack the pathes first form the iso files or zip archives, but that part can be done by script, I have this already in place to use these patches in a custom installation iso. Now I want to upload these patches in the VUM repository and build a baseline form this. As there is no commandlet, perhaps there is a way to use the API, but I'm not that deep into programming so I could figure aout how to do this...

__Leo

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I see what you mean.

Unfortunately there is no equivalent cmdlet in the current release of the snapin I'm afraid.

And the Update Manager API are private afaik, so calling the API method directly is no option either.

So I'm afraid this is a nogo for now.

LeoKurz2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Luc,

thanx for your help, very appreciated! This is a pain in the a.... Im working on a project in a larger environment where releasemanagemnet shall be implemented and the guideline will be the HP support recipe which contains, among others, firmware and drivers. I'd like to automate the process as far as possible and VUM is a major compionent. But this is a missing link in the in the whole process.

__Leo

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I understand your frustration. I also would like to see an improved Update Manager snapin and access to the VUM API.

You can apply ESXi patches through the HostPatchManager, but on the Update Manager side there isn't anything you can do programatorically, besides the current VUM snapin.

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert

There is any powercli script which can,

1. Get the host in maint mode

2. move that to a isolated to cluster.

3.scan the "patches & extension"

4. If any new patches, remidiate

5. Get the host out of maint mode

6. move it back to original cluster

7. Then run drs manually on that cluster.

Ie a typical patching process...

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert

Ok there is a script & nice presentation but the bits & pices are given as home work task seems :smileysilly:

http://www.virtu-al.net/2010/03/11/getting-started-with-the-update-manager-cmdlets/

0 Kudos
CNI0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now, more than two years and 2-3 versions later the "Import-Patch" cmdlet is still missing. This really sucks...

0 Kudos
UberGeek1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can say that this still is missing.  My workaround is to use a Shared Repository and manually hack the xml files.  What a pain!  Just need to be able to easily import a zip file that is a patch, in my case, the Cisco drivers for UCS.  Urggghhhhhhh
Sincerely, Jody L. Whitlock
mtnbkr0918
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you outline how you do this?

0 Kudos