elihuj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Export Compliance Reports

Jump to solution

We are looking to get a report of missing patches and such from our hosts. I found this document from bbambalova, and wanted to see if anyone could assist me with it. From what I can tell, right now this script will run against ALL hosts found via the $vmHosts = Get-VMHost variable. We want to be able to run this against a specific set of hosts or even select clusters only; not the entire environment. I have tested with the following:

$vmHosts = Get-Content "C:\esxihosts.txt"

Within that text file, I have a few hostnames that I'd like to run the report against. When I run the script (ExportCompliance.ps1 $vmHOsts "C:\Reports\"), I get the following error:

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'inventoryItems'. Cannot convert the "esx1.host.com" value of type "system.String" to type "VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Types.V1.Inventory.InventoryItem[]".

Is there any way I can set this up to run as I'd like? Or is there a better way to go about accomplishing my goal? Thank you.

36 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

How do you call the script ExportComplianceToCSV.ps1 with this new setup ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
elihuj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Definitely digging your shortcut! I pretty much abandoned the original script. Here's is how I have been running my query:

$vmesxi = (Get-VMHost -Name (Get-Content "C:\esxihosts.txt"))

# Get today's date

$CurrentDate = Get-Date

$CurrentDate = $CurrentDate.ToString('MM-dd-yyyy_hhmmss')

# Set Output Path

$path = "C:\Reports\"

foreach ($i in $vmesxi) {

Get-Compliance -Entity $i -Detailed |

Select @{N="Host Name";E={$_.Entity.Name}},

@{N="Baseline";E={$_.Baseline.Name}},

@{N="Compliant Patches";E={$_.CompliantPatches | Measure-Object | Select -ExpandProperty Count}},

@{N="Not Compliant Patches";E={$_.NotCompliantPatches | Measure-Object | Select -ExpandProperty Count}},

@{N="Unknown Patches";E={$_.UnknownPatches | Measure-Object | Select -ExpandProperty Count}},

@{N="Not Applicable Patches";E={$_.NotApplicablePatches | Measure-Object | Select -ExpandProperty Count}},

Status |

Export-Csv "$path\PatchComplianceReport_$CurrentDate.csv" -UseCulture -NoTypeInformation

}

And there are two hostnames in the text file.

LucD
Leadership
Leadership

To make sure the reading of the hostnames works correctly, can you check if the following actually produces 2 objects ?

Get-VMHost -Name (Get-Content "C:\esxihosts.txt")

Since the Get-Compliance cmdlet accepts multiple objects on the Entity parameter, and since the values can come from the pipeline, you could drop the ForEach altogether.

Something like this

# Get today's date

$CurrentDate = Get-Date

$CurrentDate = $CurrentDate.ToString('MM-dd-yyyy_hhmmss')

# Set Output Path

$path = "C:\Reports\"

Get-VMHost -Name (Get-Content "C:\esxihosts.txt") |

Get-Compliance -Detailed |

Select @{N="Host Name";E={$_.Entity.Name}},

@{N="Baseline";E={$_.Baseline.Name}},

@{N="Compliant Patches";E={$_.CompliantPatches | Measure-Object | Select -ExpandProperty Count}},

@{N="Not Compliant Patches";E={$_.NotCompliantPatches | Measure-Object | Select -ExpandProperty Count}},

@{N="Unknown Patches";E={$_.UnknownPatches | Measure-Object | Select -ExpandProperty Count}},

@{N="Not Applicable Patches";E={$_.NotApplicablePatches | Measure-Object | Select -ExpandProperty Count}},

Status |

Export-Csv "$path\PatchComplianceReport_$CurrentDate.csv" -UseCulture -NoTypeInformation

elihuj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very cool! I initially had a problem with it until I noticed the "|" after the text file. Once I added that in, everything ran perfectly. Output successful for both servers.

And is there any downside to running this code like it is versus the original ExportCompliance script? Thank you.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The script provides more details about patches and upgrades, but if the info the last script produces is sufficient for your needs, use that one.

0 Kudos
elihuj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And the only prerequisite to running the script is to have an existing scan correct? It pulls against the compliance report right? 

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You can always run a Scan-Inventory from the script.

That way it will always produce a result, even if there was no scan done before your script runs.

0 Kudos
elihuj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What would be the best way to put that in? Just input before the "Get-Compliance" line?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

No, I wouldn't do that in the same pipeline construct, it would break it since it doesn't do a Passthru of the HostSystem objects.

Make a separate one before the one with Get-Compliance.

$esx = Get-VMHost -Name (Get-Content "C:\esxihosts.txt")

$esx |

Scan-Inventory

$esx |

Get-Compliance -Detailed |

To avoid doing a Get-Content and the Get-VMHost twice, I placed that on a separate line, and store the results in a variable

0 Kudos
elihuj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Awesome! Thank you again LucD!!

0 Kudos
Nitin2060
Contributor
Contributor

Dropping in by to this old thread.

How do we use this script? I don't see any clear instructions. Thanks.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

What instructions do you mean?

How to run a PowerShell/PowerCLI script?

0 Kudos
Nitin2060
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply mate.

If I execute .\ExportComplianceToCSV.ps1 (Get-VMHost -Name $vmHosts) "C:\MyReports\", I get ONLY the first compliance report, which is PatchComplianceReport.CSV

I expected it will provide me with HostUpgradeComplianceReport.csv, VMHWUpgradeComplianceReport.csv, GetVMToolsUpgradeBaselineComplianceReport.csv and GetVAUpgradeBaselineComplianceReport.csv as well.

Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

When there are no entries for a specific report, the file is not created.

Could that be the case?

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert

LucD,

I tried to execute the script/command , but it throws an error. Need your help.

ExportCompliance.ps1 (Get-VMHost -Name $vmHosts) "C:\ABC\complinace-Reports\"

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks

V

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Looks your $vmHosts variable is empty.

0 Kudos
JCTan
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the script and it worked great.  Is there a way to get the install date for the patches?

0 Kudos