VMware Cloud Community
Hramoff
Contributor
Contributor

when deploying an ova file, a virtual machine is obtained in which the datastore does not work

using ova file to deploy virtual machine. Inside the network there is a cluster of drs and vsan. ova is 100 gigs.
ova is nested ESXI virtualization. I deploy ESXI, the machine boots successfully, but the datastore has a weight of 0B and is not displayed - the error " An error occurred, please try again ". What could be the problem?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to be clear, are you getting these errors on the datastore after the OVA is deployed? What version of VCSA and ESXi are you using?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Are you sure that the datastore with 0 size is not just a placeholder and is supposed to be created manually ?
Can you show the content of the OVA tarball ?

0 Kudos
Hramoff
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA - 7.0.1
servers in cluster - VMware ESXi, 7.0.1, 16850804
esxi in ova - 7.0 Update 2

0 Kudos
Hramoff
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Can you inspect the content of both vmdks - the smaller one probably has the esxi installation while the larger one is suppoed to be the datastore.

0 Kudos
Hramoff
Contributor
Contributor

what does "inspect" mean, can you please tell in more detail what needs to be done with .vmdk

. Im sorry, i can open vmdk file with 7zip.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

small vmdk is indeed the esxi-installation
for the larger one drill down deeper with 7zip

0 Kudos
Hramoff
Contributor
Contributor

opening max vmdk file take some time. Virtual machine really uses their computing resource, but dont open his datastore. In that datastore there are unregistered virtual macines 

Hramoff_0-1653321832243.png

0 Kudos
Hramoff
Contributor
Contributor

I also see disks with the right size in ESXI, but I can’t do anything with them, neither create a datastore, nor expand an existing one

Hramoff_0-1653322617551.png

Hramoff_1-1653322631835.png

0 Kudos
Hramoff
Contributor
Contributor

We don't need to open the ova file. I found a possible problem. I create a new datastore and deploy ova into it. Everything worked fine and the datastore was defined. The point is vSAN, it somehow does not allow opening this datastore. Do you have any idea what could be wrong with vSAN? 

Hramoff_0-1653323811534.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry - Cant help with VSAN. Never understood why somebody would use vSAN for anything but disposable data.

0 Kudos