VMware Cloud Community
wayneoakley99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

what is the max filesize on an NFS datastore

the blocksize setting controls the max filesize on a LUN datastore but i cannot seem to recall or find information on the max filesize allowed with an NFS datastore.

any information or references would be appreciated.

personally i wonder if it is only subject to the underlying disk format like ntfs or ext3 for zfs as determined by the o/s

thanks

wayne

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Igor_The_Great
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As far as I know there is no filesize limit in NFS - it would depend on your OS - whatever it supports(If you plan on using this file inside the vm) and the size of your NFS share.

As a rule of thumb people tend to apply san limits to NFS, just to put some number on it.

PS I've done some testing with 2TB filesize on NFS.

-Igor

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

-Igor If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Igor_The_Great
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As far as I know there is no filesize limit in NFS - it would depend on your OS - whatever it supports(If you plan on using this file inside the vm) and the size of your NFS share.

As a rule of thumb people tend to apply san limits to NFS, just to put some number on it.

PS I've done some testing with 2TB filesize on NFS.

-Igor

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

-Igor If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will be limited by the underlying OS and file system.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator