VMware Cloud Community
TopCatUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vsphere increase datastore capacity extent device missing

Hello,

I am having a problem increasing the size of my iSCSI LUN

I have a current iSCSI VMFS of 525.39Gb within vSphere.

I have increased the size on the Celerra to 1Tb, which it shows up under Devices in the properties on the Datastore within vSphere.

When I click on the Increase buttom, nothing appears in the Extent Device window, and I cant see why ?

Hope someone and help.

James

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

James,

you are welcome.

Well done guys, that worked.

To help others having similar issues, please either mark the correct and/or helpful answers or give us a short feedback, what the acual solution for your issue was. Also please mark this question as answered if your issue has been solved.

Thanks

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can't increase the size of an existing LUN if you want to add extents you have to ADD an extent and extend the existing datastore to include that new extent.

The new extent must have NOTHING on it, not even provisioned.

0 Kudos
TopCatUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you provide any info on how to do this.

Cheers

James

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I see on the second screen shot you provided there is an "increase" button did you try clicking that? You don't need extents to add more space, vSphere can increase the size of LUNs / VMFS datastores now.

Nevermind.. that's what you did.. maybe you need to rescan for space first..

0 Kudos
TopCatUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Clicking on the Increase button brings up the Extent Device Window (Like in pic 2). I thought in here I would see my LUN and be able to increase it ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you try to increase the datastore while logged in to vCenter?

VMFS 3.31 indicates the datastore was created with an earlier version of ESX. There seems to be an issue with this. Using the vSphere client, log in to an ESX(i) host directly to increase the datastore.

André

RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMFS 3.31 indicates the datastore was created with an earlier version of ESX.

VMFS versions do not matter, I have extended VMFS 3.21 versions with no problem.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you cannot grow an earlier VMFS version. I'm just saying, it seams that you have to connect to the ESX host directly instead of vCenter to be able to grow it.

André

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX host directly instead of vCenter to be able to grow it.

Ah!

0 Kudos
TopCatUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much, I have been scratching my head over this for 2 days now.

Thanks again Smiley Wink

James

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

James,

you are welcome.

To help others having similar issues, please either mark the correct and/or helpful answers or give us a short feedback, what the acual solution for your issue was. Also please mark this question as answered if your issue has been solved.

Thanks

André

0 Kudos
Jonathan_Stroud
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello there

I'm just about to do this on one of our datastores, i take it all data in the datastore will be safe? it wont blow anything away?

Cheers

0 Kudos