VMware Cloud Community
toxicrainpx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vsphere basic or dynamic disk

Hi there,

I have a Vsphere environment and sometimes I have problems with my machines disk space. Normally I increase the disk size on my machine settings, I convert the basic disks to dynamic and I extend my drive. There is any problem with this process? It's safe to use dynamic disks on a virtual environment? Thanks in advance. Sorry about my English, it's not my native language.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nofragger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It depends on the OS you are running, i found a blog i used a while ago which tells me how to extend the windows system disk and a secondary disk.[Click here|http://www.ivobeerens.nl/?p=32]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Toxicrainpx,

We usually use Basic disks. A lot of applications are not compatible with Dynamic disks. But if using dynamics disk meets your needs, VMware does not really care of how the guest OS uses its virtual disks.

There are many ways to resize a virtual disk, depending on your OS and whether the disk hosts the system or not. Some methods need the VM to be powered off, other don't.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Franck

toxicrainpx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Franck,

First of all thanks for you fast reply. Can you please identify one method that you already used to extend hard drives in Windows Server?

0 Kudos
nofragger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It depends on the OS you are running, i found a blog i used a while ago which tells me how to extend the windows system disk and a secondary disk.[Click here|http://www.ivobeerens.nl/?p=32]

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Nofragger is right and his link is very useful (I used Gparted Live CD many times). And there are many other tools (see this kb). You can also use Dell Extpart if you need to extend a system disk on old Windows versions without rebooting.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos