VMware Cloud Community
ITVisionIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmotion vs svmotion - Throttle via vDS Port Group

Greetings,

Recently I was attempting to storage vmotion a guests disk from local storage to our SAN.  It reached about 52% and we started to get a flooded with server alerts of systems timing out.  The svmotion task eventually timed out and systems went to responding normal again.

We utilize 2 vDS in our environment, one for iSCSI traffic to the SAN and another for production network traffic.  We have a port group assigned for "vmotion" traffic which is on our production network.  In efforts to throttle the storage vmotion  I modified the port group that we have for the "vmotion" vlan.

While running the storage vmotion, I ran esxtop and was monitoring the vmnic and noticed it was not utilizing the production vds at all, however I was seeing traffic across the iSCSI vDS.  When I ran a standard vmotion, moving a guest from one host to another, I could see the traffic hitting the vmnic assigned for vmotion.

So my question is, how can we throttle back storage vmotion traffic if its not utilizing vmnic that has been assigned the vmotion role?

Cheers

0 Kudos
0 Replies