VMware Cloud Community
luckiblue
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 6.5 and external storage array with dedupe

Hello, I have all-flash array with deduplication and compression enabled connected via 8Gb FC to two ESXi 6.5 hosts. I want to know if there is any way of presenting used space on array after dedupe and compression of data stored on it to ESXi hosts? Currenty I have three 3TB datastores and in vCenter i can see that used space on every single of them is around 80%, but on the storage array utilization of LUNs (with datastores created on them) is around 30%.

Is there any chance to present actual utilization of storage array LUNs to vCenter datastores? Some api like deprecated VAAI?

1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Is there any chance to present actual utilization of storage array LUNs to vCenter datastores?

No, and actually doing so would be a very bad idea. VMFS is a metadata-driven file system and arrays don't understand the nature of that file system. They're dumb in that all they understand are blocks. They don't know what that block is for on what VM and on what file system. Things like disk thickness and vswp files are essentially metadata at the start but can be "inflated" on occasions. VMFS needs to work the way it does. You'll just have to monitor your array through any of several methods available.