VMware Cloud Community
GeorgePerkins
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 6.0 Web Client cannot browse Datastore files (but old VSphere thick client can)

Why doesn't the vSphere 6.0 Web Client allow me to browse the files on a Datastore?

Using Internet Explorer 11 (11.2363.14393.0 Update Versions: 11.0.75 (KB4339093) on Windows 10.

Flash Player Win 30,0,0,134

vSphere Web Client 6.0.0 Build 3617395

Using vSphere Web Client:

From VM guest object > Related Objects tab > Datastores tab > Datastore > right-click > Browse Files >

From Datastore object > Manage tab > Files tab > 

(result: "This list is empty")

Using vSphere Client:

Inventory > Datastores and Datastore Clusters > Data Center > Datastore > Browse Datastore...

(result: pop-up Datastore Browser window, contains folders and files as expected)

You know, I'm trying to use the web client for everything I can because the thick client is no longer being enhanced and we'll soon be on the HTML5 web client. Until then it seems I have this buggy Flash client to contend with. What is the trick to get it to work?

Thanks.

4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Try another browser and see if your result is different. And avoid using IE for anything and everything if you can help it.

0 Kudos
GeorgePerkins
Contributor
Contributor

I use Chrome for everything... except when Flash is involved. I keep Chrome clean to prevent nasty Flash drive-by vulnerabilities and use IE11 only for internal vSphere Web Client for that reason.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Chrome now has per-site whitelist for invoking Flash. It doesn't mean you have to give up security just to be able to access the vSphere Web Client. Simply whitelist the FQDN of your vCenter and it'll run the Flash component only for it.

0 Kudos
pentrusuport201
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find a workaround?

I am having the same issue. I have checked with Chrome and Mozilla.

0 Kudos