VMware Cloud Community
ITankwell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

update VMFS version

hey all,

we have found datastores with old VMFS version (5)
However, since the VCenter + ESXi hosts are version 6.5, vmfs 6 is available for upgrade

Is it recommended to do this upgrade? (the procedure - moving all the data to another datastore, recreating the datastore on the same storage device)?

I'm asking this since there are a few datastores that moving the data inside them is a bit sensitive issue, so we would do the upgrade only if it's worth it 😊

Hope I described the situation well

Thanks,
Tankwell

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is just my personal opinion, but for most use cases I don't see a hard requirement for a VMFS upgrade.

The documentation (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc/GUID-7552DAD4-1809-4687...) lists the main differences, where IMO the space reclamation is one of the interesting new features.

The list is likely not 100% complete, as there are other features which require VMFS6, like clustered VMDKs for WSFC (only for FC storage), but it gives you an overview.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is just my personal opinion, but for most use cases I don't see a hard requirement for a VMFS upgrade.

The documentation (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc/GUID-7552DAD4-1809-4687...) lists the main differences, where IMO the space reclamation is one of the interesting new features.

The list is likely not 100% complete, as there are other features which require VMFS6, like clustered VMDKs for WSFC (only for FC storage), but it gives you an overview.

André

0 Kudos
ITankwell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey,

Thank you 😊😊
I have read the info you gave... I saw also that automatic reallocation is a good feature in this version....
Nice one

0 Kudos