Babushko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

storage vmotion issue - requested storage vmotion would simultaneously change

Shalom, everybody!

how are you? hope, do well

I have next configuration:

lic : 1. vCenter Server 4 Standard 2. vSpehere 4 enterprise Plus 1-12 cores per CPU *8CPUs

4 ESXi ; 1 vCenter server

When I try to migrate some VM`s from one datastore to another it gives error. But if I migrate by one VM (from one storage to another) it seems ok:

< the requested storage vmotion would simultaneously change a virtual machine`s storage placement and its execution host; however, this is not supported on Source host "production-host1"  >

< the requested storage vmotion would simultaneously change a virtual machine`s storage placement and its execution host; however, this is not supported on Destonation host "production-host2" >

thank you in advice!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This image shows vm's on multiple source hosts.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MindTheGreg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's because you are trying to storage vMotion and vMotion at the same time. You can only do one at a time.

Group select the VMs you want to move > Right Click > Select Migrate > Choose Host or Datastore and move them around.

Behatzlacha!

Set-Annotation -CustomAttribute "The Impossible" -Value "Done and that makes us mighty"
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

MindTheGreg is right that you are trying to move the storage and host at the same time. The underlying reason isn't always so clear - when you try to svMotion a group of VMs at the same time, they can only have one destination host. Therefore you can only svMotion VMs on the same host as a group, otherwise it tries to put all the VMs on the host of the first VM you selected.

When I want to move a group of VMs using svMotion, I view the VMs and then sort by host. Select the VMs on the same host and do a svMotion for them, then choose the next host's group of VMs, and so on.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
MindTheGreg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here's a screenshot of how to do it.

Set-Annotation -CustomAttribute "The Impossible" -Value "Done and that makes us mighty"
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As stated earlier, since your focus is on the cluster level, the vm's you are trying to migrate may be on different hosts, so you are attempting two operations at once.  If you change the focus to a particular host, and then select a group of vm's, you shouldn't run into that issue.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Babushko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, all

thanks for your replies

But this error occur, when I try to migrate into one host too.

For example: migrate 6 VM`s on esxi01.localdomain from datastore hp-eva8400-main to datastore hp-eva-8400-reserve

0 Kudos
Babushko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

here is how i`m trying to migrate

0 Kudos
MindTheGreg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

EDIT: Looks like you have to migrate machines that are all on one host. I wasn't able to migrate in the way shown in your screenshot either. I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable can help.

Storage vMotion them one at a time and it will work.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This image shows vm's on multiple source hosts.

-KjB

0 Kudos
Babushko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Gents, thank you a lot!!!

there is limitation in 4VM`s with migrating from one datastore to another one

0 Kudos