VMware Cloud Community
TedH256
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

storage vmotion - 3.5 hosts and 4.1 hosts

Have 2 esx3.5 u3 (or whatever the last update was for 3.5) and 2 new esxi 4.1 (yes, I know - but it is only temporary - will be upgraded to 5.1 this fall).

The 3.5 hosts connect to storage on the old NetApp using iSCSI. The 4.1 hosts have NFS datastores on the new NetApp but also have access to the iSCSI datastores.

In order to storage vmotion, do the 3.5 hosts have to be able to "see" the NFS datastores? Or, can the fact that the destination can see both of them, sufficient?

Also - if I have to create the NFS datastores on the 3.5 hosts - any tips for me?

😉

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TedH256
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

wait - wait

I think it just became clear to me. Wow - so simple! As long as the new hosts can see the old datastores (they do) then we just vmotion from old hosts to new, and then storage vmotion from the iscsi to the NFS and the old hosts do not need to "see" the NFS at all.

DUH!

LOL - thanx for being a sounding board!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vSolid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, the host need to see the NFS datastore

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

wait - wait

I think it just became clear to me. Wow - so simple! As long as the new hosts can see the old datastores (they do) then we just vmotion from old hosts to new, and then storage vmotion from the iscsi to the NFS and the old hosts do not need to "see" the NFS at all.

DUH!

LOL - thanx for being a sounding board!

0 Kudos