VMware Cloud Community
dalemarshall
Contributor
Contributor

problem adding vmdk to Virtual machine from NetApp flexclone volume

I’m having a problem adding a vmdk to a Virtual Machine in vSpehere 4.

The VMDK is stored on a NetApp Flexclone volume that’s been presented to vSphere as an NFS mount. I can see the datastore, browse it and select the vmdk stored on it but when I attempt to add it to a VM it comes back with:

“Failed to power on scsi0. Failed to add disk scsi0”

I initially thought this was because the VM I was trying to add it to had the original vmdk attached as well and there might be an issue with disk signatures but I can’t add it to any VM.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Just a few ideas, in case...

If your initial storage was presented as iSCSI, try to connect its clone the same way.

You can also try to clone the VMDK with a "vmkfstools -i" if you have enough free space.

Have a look in VM's folder, search and delete any "*.lck" file.

Good luck

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
bsti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I seem to remember encountering a similar issue with NetApp FlexClones. I have two ideas on this:

1) I seem to remember having to add a second SCSI adapter to the VM to attach the FlexClone RDM to it. Have you tried that?

2) Have you tried using SnapDrive (Version 6.2) and creating the FC from there? To do that, you open SD from the VM, select your filer, drill down to the Volume, then into the .snapshot folder, then to the snapshot you want to clone from, then to the underlying LUN. This creates a new FC from that snapshot and mounts it to your VM. I do this all the time for testing.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos