VMware Cloud Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

pRDM to pRDM migration?

I use a lot of pRDMs in my vsphere environment (v 5.0 U2), because we have a lot of SQL Server, MS Clusters. However, it's time to purchase a new SAN, and I am wondering what is the best way to go about it. I remember an old article by Cormac Hogan and one of the questions he had was, how useful would a RDM to RDM migration tool be? At the time, I didn't think about it, but now that I have to, it would be very useful. Not sure if that functionality is available now, though.

I know one solution would be to turn them to VMDK, but since I use MSCS, that's not a possibility.

I will be upgrading to vSphere 5.5 in a few weeks, not sure if that changes anything, in regards to this question

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not aware of a pRDM migration tool and you'd still have to do this manually from the command line. Anyway, most major storage vendors offer SAN Copy tools (usually free of cost) which even allow to migrate LUNs from other storage vendors. IMO this might be the easiest way to migrate.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not aware of a pRDM migration tool and you'd still have to do this manually from the command line. Anyway, most major storage vendors offer SAN Copy tools (usually free of cost) which even allow to migrate LUNs from other storage vendors. IMO this might be the easiest way to migrate.

André

0 Kudos