VMware Cloud Community
nord
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

online LUN expand

Hello,

I have question about online LUN expand. I use vpshere4 with my storage array. I can expand LUN on storage array level. How about VMFS expand? Can I do it with vms power on? If is it good practise use extended VMFS? influence for performance?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you can expand a VMFS datastore dynamically with vSphere while you have running machines on the VMFS datastore - this is preferable to adding extents -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you can expand a VMFS datastore dynamically with vSphere while you have running machines on the VMFS datastore - this is preferable to adding extents -

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As weinstein5 said, no problems with doing this online. It is comparable to the Windows diskpart extend function.

If you created the VMFS datastore with an earlier version of ESX you may need to grow the datastore by connecting directly to an ESX host instead of vCenter.

André

0 Kudos
nord
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answes, and what about virtual disk perfomance using this scenario?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no negative impact

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos