VMware Cloud Community
hurdle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

loadbalancing Fibre Storage

I thought I understood multipathing until I read the storage configuration guide, now I have to admit I am a little confused.

1.  For Round Robin Path Selection Policy  is the balancing between your host and the SP or the host and the datastore.

2.  If I have an Active/Passive storage array and have two HBA ports will it only ever use one port or it will only use one port per datatore.  For example Datastore 1 connected to HBA 1.  Datastore 2 conntected to HBA 2.

3.  What about Active/Active

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheEsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi hurdle

What storage array do you have

You need to ensure that your vendor supports you running this alogrithm across your ESX Cluster.

Cheers

David

0 Kudos
elgreco81
Expert
Expert

HI,

No "short" answer for what you are asking.

This will explain things:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101134...

I'll give it a shot Smiley Happy

1.  For Round Robin Path Selection Policy  is the balancing between your host and the SP or the host and the datastore.

RR will alternate your traffic using the available paths. Paths are something like this

vmhba"n":C0:T0:L1 . This is vmhba controller "n" (some number), channel 0, target 0, LUN 1

2.  If I have an Active/Passive storage array and have two HBA ports will it only ever use one port or it will only use one port per datatore.  For example Datastore 1 connected to HBA 1.  Datastore 2 conntected to HBA 2.

It will depend in your load balancing policy

3.  What about Active/Active

Again, it will depend in your load balancing policy.

This is a very important matter, so I would recommend you reading the configuration guides and pubs from VMware. Also, as TheEsp says, check with your storage vendor for best practices with your array.

Regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com
0 Kudos