VMware Cloud Community
nicolas_b
Contributor
Contributor

issue with iscsi storage on freenas 8

Hi,

I am running into a strange issue, which I have not been able to resolve yet, so if anyone as come across a similar issue I would be grateful for any suggestions.

I am using vCenter 4.1 and have a number of SAN disks for running VMs, I also created 2 datastores on a Freenas box for backup purposes and hosting ISO files.

SAN datastores are working fine.

The Freenas datastores have been working well for the last 6 month, now one of them doesn't show any data when browsing it.

I restarted vCenter, restarted Freenas, but I still cannot see the data. I also removed the CHAP authentication on both side.

I have attached 2 screenshots:

datastores.png shows my 2 Freenas iSCSI datastore.

"ISO_files" has data accessible

"NASbackup" seems empty.

nasbackup.png shows that the data is still on the datastore.

info:

Freenas version 8.0.1

3 disks of  2Tb in a RAID Z.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nicolas_b
Contributor
Contributor

OK, so I didn't get any suggestions. I looked with some Linux experts that could not explain why I could not delete directly from file system either.

So, i formatted my disks, installed the latest FreeNas 8.3.0 and this time with no RAID Z.

I created my volumes and map them to ESXi and it is all working well now. Probably even 5 times faster.

So I am not sure what the problem was. If it was the RAID Z or the version of FreeNas but all working now.

0 Kudos