VMware Cloud Community
TedH256
Expert
Expert

is round-robin "iops" setting still not persistent across host reboot?

So I have been using the following from esxi command line to set iops values when using RR with HP p4000 (iSCSI) storage:

for i in `esxcli storage nmp device list | grep naa.600` ; do esxcli storage nmp psp roundrobin deviceconfig set -t iops –I 1 -d $i; done

Recently however I have read that this iops setting is not persistent accross a reboot --

SO this post: http://virtualy-anything.blogspot.com/2009/12/how-to-configure-vsphere-mpio-for-iscsi.html and a comment on this post:

http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2009/09/a-multivendor-post-on-using-iscsi-with-vmware-vs...

have suggested that the answer is to "edit the rc.local file on each host (which basically is a script that runs at the end of boot up) to set the limit IOPS limit on on all luns

Enter this command, the only variable you will need to change is the “naa.600” witch pertains to the identifier on array
for i in `ls /vmfs/devices/disks/ | grep naa.600` ; do esxcli nmp roundrobin setconfig --type “iops” --iops=1--device $i; done"

So the current question is: with up to date versions of esxi 4.1 and 5.0, is editing the rc.local file still required, or once the command is executed will the value that we set remain persistent?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TedH256
Expert
Expert

sigh - nobody knows?

I suppose I will have to go test it - but damn, it's a bug in vmware - it should be persistent. Has it been fixed, or not?

0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

In ESXi 5 this is, finally, persistent across host reboot.

-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
TedH256
Expert
Expert

excellent - is this documented somewhere, or have you simply been able to observe the persistence?

0 Kudos
markokobal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know weather it is documented, however I can confirm it because I'm using this setting in my cluster of ESXi 5 host and I've tested that it's persistent across host reboot.

-- Kind regards, Marko. VCP5
0 Kudos