Highlighted
Expert
Expert

iSCSI vs NFS

Jump to solution

Hi

VMware has not released this paper's new version since 2012 - https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/storage_protocol_compari... 

I went though some old post & got sense from all that NFS is better for below reasons

1. Easy Setup

2. Easy to expand

3. UNMAP is advantage on iSCSI

4. VMFS is quite fragile if you use Thin provisioned VMDKs. A single powerfailure can render a VMFS-volume unrecoverable.

5. NFS datastores immediately show the benefits of storage efficiency (deduplication, compresson, thin provisioning) from both the NetApp and vSphere perspectives

6. Netapp specific : The NetApp NFS Plug-In for VMware is a plug-in for ESXi hosts that allows them to use VAAI features with NFS datastores on ONTAP

7. Netapp specific : NFS has autogrow

8. When using NFS datastores, space is reclaimed immediately when a VM is deleted

9. Performance is almost identical

Please list out if i miss anything & share comments

Thanks

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Commander
Commander

Based on your attached document, there is many other factors that represent the iSCSI is better than the NFS in some cases, like the following list:

1. VMware PSA and load-balancing feature that is enable for the iSCSI, FC & FCoE, not the NFS.

2. iSCSI supports CHAP for authentication and improving the security.

3. Raw Device Mapping (RDM) feature is not supported by the NFS, but the iSCSI can do.

4. Boot from SAN is possible via the iSCSI not the NFS.

But regardless of comparing storage protocols, in many situations you can obtain benefits of both iSCSI and NFS. Ease of implementing and configuration for the NFS is a good characteristic but for the most of advanced features there are many shortcoming, especially in the lower versions of the NFS.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere Storage area.

Forum Usage Guidelines: https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-12286
VMware Training & Certification blog: http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
Highlighted
Commander
Commander

Based on your attached document, there is many other factors that represent the iSCSI is better than the NFS in some cases, like the following list:

1. VMware PSA and load-balancing feature that is enable for the iSCSI, FC & FCoE, not the NFS.

2. iSCSI supports CHAP for authentication and improving the security.

3. Raw Device Mapping (RDM) feature is not supported by the NFS, but the iSCSI can do.

4. Boot from SAN is possible via the iSCSI not the NFS.

But regardless of comparing storage protocols, in many situations you can obtain benefits of both iSCSI and NFS. Ease of implementing and configuration for the NFS is a good characteristic but for the most of advanced features there are many shortcoming, especially in the lower versions of the NFS.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem

View solution in original post