VMware Cloud Community
PePierias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

iSCSI tuning recommendations for Synology RS1619xs+

Hello,

Not an expert here, so please bear with me!

We've got a Synology RS1619+ having ample space alongside our two 7.0U1 nodes (VMware essentials license). The nodes have a common SAN datastore, however for file storage we'd like to utilize the Synology device. We've set a VLAN for storage and connected to it some physical NICs from the ESXi nodes to handle the esxi software iSCSI adapter, as well as two 1GbE interfaces from the synology. All these NICs are set in the same broadcast domain.

Got some questions regarding optimizing the performance:

1) Should I enable pause frames on the switch?

2) Enabling jumbo frames is a win-win or should I experiment with different frame sizes?

3) For some reason iSCSI header digest and data digest options are set to prohibited. Being a newbie, I thought that having these options enabled is a good thing for iSCSI (if not a highly recommended one). Any idea why vmware sets these to prohibited?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
PePierias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After reading some VMWare docs on iSCSI it seems that advanced configuration settings on iSCSI are not to be touched, unless advised by VMWare support. So that strikes out question 3.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
This link, you may find useful

https://www.buffalotech.com/knowledge-base/Configure-Software-iSCSI-Initiator-in-ESXi-6.5-that-Conta...

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
PePierias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it is quite vague regarding the IP addresses of the NAS. It's missing quite some stuff. Plus this is about how to connect to iSCSI, not about optimizing it per se for the synology model.

0 Kudos