VMware Cloud Community
Dr_Virt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

iSCSI Pathing Issues

I am having fits trying to add a DELL MD3220i to our existing infrastructure. We purchased the MD3220i to offload lab and non-production environments on cost effective storage.

Environment:

3x Dell M610 blades with vSphere 4.0

- 4x  Broadcom 5709

- - 2 pNICs in vSwitch0 with vMotion and Management

- - 2 pNICs in vSwitch1 with VLAN tranked VM traffic

- 2x Qlogic 8Gb FC HBA

1x Dell MD3220i

- 2x Storage controllers w/4 iSCSI ports each

The goal was to add the iSCSI interfaces to vSwitch1 and trunk the data to the MD3220i. I created 2 new vmkernel ports (vmk1 & vmk2) with 2 seperate subnets and VLANs (500 & 501). I configured the VLAN span the appropriate switches and the MD3220i. I then used vmkping to verify connectivity between all endpoints. I add vmk1 and vmk2 to vmhba32 using esxcli. I added the first iSCSI address to the software initiator as a dynamic disocvery target.

When I scan the software intiator, all LUNs are found and all paths are listed as active. But I cannot access the LUN unless I go through the paths, one by one, and eventually mark a path as preferred. This is with the FIXED path selection. MRU and Round Robin make it worse.

The vmkernel logs show constant reports that the LUN is "not available on this device" as it searches for the proper path.

I have never seen anything like this. Any ideas why the connectivity is good, the LUNs are discovered, but the pathing is completely wrong? It behaves like the MD3220i is failing to tell VMware were to connect for an active path.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

why you use controler A in VLAN 500 and controller B in VLAN 501 ? the best in my opnion is use the two controllers in same vlan id.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Dr_Virt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is per Dell's Documentation that each pair of ports (0, 1, 2, 3) be on the same subnet for availability. So if Controller 0 fails, the iSCSI session for the given network can be sustained on Controller 1.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Right... this kind of storage must use different network, and your configuration seems correct.

I just only use different vSwitch for the 2 different vmkernel interface.

On the MD3200i you see the right connections?

PS: remember that you must use MRU as multipath policy, because this array is active/passive (con the same LUN).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos