VMware Cloud Community
JustyC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

iSCSI ESXi 5.1

Built a ESXi 5.1 standalone host (build 799733).  Our vCenter is 4.0 so it cannot manage it.  I would like to connect the host to iSCSI SAN storage, which at the moment is NetApp.  I have a vSwitch configured with 2 port groups to the subnet for the NetApp.  We will be installing  a EMC VNX box very soon and want the host to have access to both NetApp and EMC storage ?   Can the same vSwitch be used for both or do I have to create a second VS and new subnet for the VNX ?  Also during testing can the connection to either or both storage boxes be removed and added back without hanging the host ?  Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can the same vSwitch be used for both or do I have to create a second VS and new subnet for the VNX ?

Yes

Also during testing can the connection to either or both storage boxes be removed and added back without hanging the host ?

Yes - although best to inform the host of the removal of the storage, if possible.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can the same vSwitch be used for both or do I have to create a second VS and new subnet for the VNX ?

Yes

Also during testing can the connection to either or both storage boxes be removed and added back without hanging the host ?

Yes - although best to inform the host of the removal of the storage, if possible.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Absolutely!  You can connect multiple iSCSI Storage using the same iSCSI Adapter and VMkernel Ports.  You have to make sure the bandwidth is enough to use both of the Storage SAN (EMC and NetApp) without performance issues.

And yes, you can remove and add back any (or both) of the Storage boxes without any issue on ESXi. 
It's recommendable dismount the datastores before you remove the connection, but it's not mandatory.
Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
JustyC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the great replies.  They sparked one more question.  We are contemplating using NFS for a new EMC (VNX) storage box.  Does a separate virtual switch need to be configured for this or does our current VS for iSCSI suffice ?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi, you can use the same vSwitch to NFS and iSCSI.  You just have to make sure the bandwidth is enough for all the traffic.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
JustyC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you.

0 Kudos