VMware Cloud Community
dji2009
Contributor
Contributor

esxtop measures

Hi all,

I need your help to understand the esxtop measures. Last night I ran the esxtop command to monitor my storage (local storage where ESX's system is installed).

To take the measures I ran the following command during eleven hours.

Esxtop –b –d 300 >> esxtopResults.csv

I’m very surprise when I have used perfmon (Windows tool) to see the KAVG/cmd and the DAVG/cmds.

The DAVG/cmds seem to be normal; the problem is on the KAVG/cmds. This parameter measures the kernel latency and should be close to zero. It’s not my case and I don’t understand why because the QUED parameter (The number of commands in the VMKernel that are currently queued) is null.

The only explanation is the disk latency but I’m not sure!

You can help me to identify the problem, below the measures!

DAVG/cmds :

KAVG/cmds:

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
danm66
Expert
Expert

the kavg is the time it takes for the command to go from the guest through the kernel and to the SCSI adapter/HBA. So, if you're not stacking up commands (QUED), then something else is going wrong or the measurements are not correct. I would suggest you observe the real-time performance and confirm that the KAVG is actually above 1.0.

0 Kudos
dji2009
Contributor
Contributor

Hi danm66,

Thank you for your help. I checked again and the measures are corrects. I verified the KAVG for the SAN Access and the value is close to zero (see graph below).

I’m agreeing with you, something is wrong and I think the problem is disks latency (SAS disk) but I’m not sure.

For the second point (observe the real time performance) I’m not sure that will change anything, as I said, the KVAG for the SAN access has correct value.

did you already do the same measures on your ESX?

KAVG (for SAN access) :

0 Kudos
dji2009
Contributor
Contributor

hi all,

I still looking for a solution or method to identify my problem, someone have a idea ?

Thanks

Dji

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Check if this might help you: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9279

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=