VMware Cloud Community
searchbb
Contributor
Contributor

esxi 5 block driver and windows xp

hi,all,

I changed our block storage driver code to support the esxi 5, and I can install it with vmkload_mod cmd. ESX can detect my storage as the datastore. I can install the windows 7 in our storage successfully, but failed to install the win XP. When XP setup finished to copy the files from CD, and windows reboot, and it show me as follow:

ntldr: couldn't open drive mutil(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)

and, enter windows REPAIR, I can see all the windows files in c:\.

so, anyone can help me to solve this? Or, tell me something helpful.

Should I need to do something in my code?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
searchbb
Contributor
Contributor

hello, all, any advice?

thanks Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert

Do you have multiple virtual disks attached to the VM? If so, you may want to remove the non-OS disk and try OR verify the VM BIOS is correctly set to boot from OS disk. You can also try an a different SCSI controller to rule out any drivers issue:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100086...

searchbb
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion, vGuy, I just attached a virtual disk to the XP. And, I test installed again as the KB link said, but nothing change. 

0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert

I do not have a readily available vSphere 5 environment to test rightnow..however, I would suggest you to create a new virtual disk and ensure the virtual SCSI controller is set to Bus Logic and try again if possible with a new ISO image.

searchbb
Contributor
Contributor

I have tested all types of the SCSI controller. Used BUS LOGIC, I can install XP in a HDD, but always failed in our block device. And, win 7, win 2008, SuSE OS and REHL OS are OK, can be installed normally. so I think there is something omitted in our code. Do you think?

0 Kudos
searchbb
Contributor
Contributor

have  solved. Thanks all the same.

0 Kudos