VMware Cloud Community
charlin
Contributor
Contributor

enforce thick provisioning during OVF template deployment

hi,

I am building an application and running on a particular OS, and packaging it into a OVF template.  So when you deploy the OVF, you get the virtual machine which runs the application.

During the OVF template deployment, I am prompted to choose "thick  eager zero", "thick lazy zero", or "thin" provisioning.

Is there possible for me to control what choices are selectable here?  For example, I want to gray out the "thin provisioning" option, so that my VM is only created with either eager zero or lazy zero provisioning.

Question 2:   How much of performance hit, if any, is there with lazy zero as opposed to eager zero?   On one hand, I wan to reduce the amount of time it takes to deploy the OVF, and I believe lazy zero might be faster (I could be wrong thought, let me know).    But on the other hand, my application is real CPU intensive and requires real-time processing, so does lazy zero impose some performance penalty here?

Question 3:  If I cannot control selection of provisioning druing the OVF template deployment screens, then is there a point later on during the whole OVF deployment where I can insert code to verify the configuration/properties of the VM that is to be created, so as to detect that the disk size is not what I expect (for example, thick would have been 200 GB, but I detect the storage provisioned is only going to be 50 GB).   If I can do that then that would offer me another way to prevent (and disallow) people from deploying the OVF with thin provisioning.

thank you,

Charles

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

Hi.  Hopefully the answers below will be useful for you.

1)I think that VMware Studio may be able to do this.

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/getting-started/learn/studio/overview.html

Worth a shot.

2) Have a look at this whitepaper.  It is for 4.X, but still relevant.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsp_4_thinprov_perf.pdf

0 Kudos
data101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I'm interested in this option too.

Could anybody point out if it is possible? As I have not found the way yet to force thick provisioning on deployment of OVF.

Thanks

0 Kudos