VMware Cloud Community
monderick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

datastore sharing between clusters within same vCenter

I have read several articles stating this is possible such as With vSphere 5.0 and HA can I share datastores across clusters?

However, we presented a 100GB datastore to multiple clusters under one vCenter and only the first cluster is allowed to mount the datastore.

The other cluster wants to reformat it when attempting to add the datastore.

is this not possible any longer on vSphere 6?

thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sharing the datastores across the clusters is still possible. If you have mounted the LUN on first ESXi and formatted the datastores with VMFS, you should be able to see it on the other ESXi also. If you are unable to see, try rescan the HBA/datastores on the ESXis.

If you were asked to reformat the LUN even after formatting with VMFS on first host, please re-check on how its presented from the storage end.

For more information, see https://communities.vmware.com/thread/337600

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator

View solution in original post

2 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sharing the datastores across the clusters is still possible. If you have mounted the LUN on first ESXi and formatted the datastores with VMFS, you should be able to see it on the other ESXi also. If you are unable to see, try rescan the HBA/datastores on the ESXis.

If you were asked to reformat the LUN even after formatting with VMFS on first host, please re-check on how its presented from the storage end.

For more information, see https://communities.vmware.com/thread/337600

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
monderick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks!   pointed me in the right direction.

from the provided link, manually running esxcfg-volume -m "vmfs_label_name" was the key to mounting the datastores on the subsequent hosts

0 Kudos